LED & Clouding, take it back? or not ...

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm now a little more upto speed with this clouding 'lark' on LCD TVs. And seeing as the new LED TVs are in fact LCD - the new 7 series samsung I just bought appears to have a slight issue with this. So can someone out there PLEASE give me some difinitive answers on the below as the WHF team seem to rely on YOUR replys other than their own ... (sorry WHF).

1. Has anyone spotted clouding/backlight bleed on the new Samsung LED tvs yet?

2. WHF - you didnt notice bleed or clouding on the samsung 7 series, but other reviews have - why? (this is not a complaint just wondering at what level you mention it in your reviews)

3. At what level is clouding an issue. Is it personal preference? Or do you suggest for instance that if the clouding 10% brighter in some dark areas then it should be returned.

I've mentioned this before that my LED is slightly brighter in corners and has one rather bright area at the top of the screen - but this is only noticed in a very dark lighting. Do I put up with this or take it back as faulty?
(No, I am not looking for a plasma - I'm trying to stick with LCD as the bloomin' thing is going on th wall soon!)

Thanks (again).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
MyWhatHiFi:2. WHF - you didnt notice bleed or clouding on the samsung 7 series, but other reviews have - why? (this is not a complaint just wondering at what level you mention it in your reviews)

Umm, to answer the 'why?' part, all I can say is 'search me'.

If we had seen any clouding we considered capable of impinging on the performance of the TV, we would have reported it; other reviewers obviously felt they did see such clouding on their review samples, though I'll have to take your word on it, as I tend not to read reviews elsewhere.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
MyWhatHiFi:Thanks for taking the time to reply Andrew. I hope aWHF person picks this thread up also.

emotion-18.gif

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
'ang on 'ang on ... I just typed too quickly. (Andrew sorry!) I meant 'further' WHF people pick this up, as Andrew didnt review this TV.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
If it bothers you try a replacement, i wouldn't be happy splashing out that sort of money for it to have such issues. After buying A Samsung myself and found a few scratches on the frame i got a replacement and checked it when it arrived before the driver could go.Also i wanted to help him pack and carry the old one away, but he said no need then i heard a bang and driver was rolling the package over on its edge. I said what are you doing you will smash that up, he said it does not matter this is going to the crusher, it will cost to much to repair.

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Okay, fair points. Am I in a lottery though in getting a replacement?

The potential is there as I have only had the TV a week.

Anyone else? Your thoughts? I feel I am ringing Samsung in the morning
emotion-6.gif

MyWhatHiFi

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

For those who took interest in this post, I thought I'd let you know how I got on in taking the TV back ...

In short, I'm trying to understand if what I perceive as 'clouding' was enough to warrant a replacement. And thankfully it was. Both the store I got the TV from and Samsung agreed that there was clouding and uneven backlight (they tested it) and have replaced the TV. I can honestly say the new TV is a vast improvement. And in fact, a very good (even) backlight. No patchy areas or bleed. Only very faint bright areas in the corners (as with most LCD) but I've not yet tweaked the settings to get the best from it. Its also worth WHF considering a mini guide as to what levels of uneven backlight there are. I was rather anxious in explaining clouding to the store and how severe on not it was (or wasnt).

So there you go. With a set currently costing on average £1250 I think its fair to ask that performs at its best. And also how good Samsung were in supporting me as a customer.

Regards

(~ PS: Thanks for peoples comments and help ~)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts