Leaving amp in standby

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadders

However, what you said about the standby power only being enough to allow the remote control to wake up the amplifier seems strange as the amp is warm when to the touch when left in standby.
Hi,
The warmth is possibly the linear regulator powering the digital electronics. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 650A which is in standby, similar specifications to the Denon PMA800NE, rated at less than 1watt in standby, and is cold. Maybe there is a fault in your amplifier ?

The video - burn in is a fallacy. The switch on energy surge - again, not an issue. When you examine the current spike into the reservoir capacitors of a power supply, which is charging them 120 times per second, especially at higher volume output of the amplifier, then the surge current once per day due to switch on, is not an issue.

Regards,
Shadders.

Tinman1952

Hi,
The warmth is possibly the linear regulator powering the digital electronics. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 650A which is in standby, similar specifications to the Denon PMA800NE, rated at less than 1watt in standby, and is cold. Maybe there is a fault in your amplifier ?

The video - burn in is a fallacy. The switch on energy surge - again, not an issue. When you examine the current spike into the reservoir capacitors of a power supply, which is charging them 120 times per second, especially at higher volume output of the amplifier, then the surge current once per day due to switch on, is not an issue.

Regards,
Shadders.
So two extremely successful HiFi companies (Naim and PS Audio) are wrong...but you a 'forum member' is correct?
God protect us from high school scientists who think we are all deceiving ourselves and you cannot make ANY judgement without a double blind test! 😣 A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....

Last edited:

Gray

What....no Amazon smart switch so you can say "Alexa..turn off my amp!"? 😄
Unless neighbours are up against the wall, nobody is listening to me in my house.
I don't talk anyway (apart from quietly swearing at misguided do-gooders on Question Time).
My 80 quid Nokia wonderphone has a dedicated Google Assistant button (which could be accidentally pressed). One of the first things I did was to disable that.

Reactions: Tinman1952

shadders

😂 " There are non so blind as those that will not see..."
Hi,
The OP made a conscious decision to stop the standby operation, causing the amplifier to be warm. The hearing of the difference is based on the placebo effect.

The issue is that wasting energy for no good reason, based on hifi myths, is irresponsible. Luckily, hifi is in decline, so the masses won't be a problem.

Regards,
Shadders.

robdmarsh

Well, I really don't buy this your ears adjust to the sound of new equipment and it's an illusion. When I unboxed the amp and listened to it for the first time it sounded asleep, compressed and flat. I played several of my favourite tracks and didn't like what I heard at all. Three days later I heard full, rich, detailed and expansive sound and these same tracks had come alive... but apparently I'm imagining what I heard?1 :unsure:

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Hi,
Please stop attacking people with a different view.

I never said anything about the person (original poster), i clearly stated what i thought was going on.

Regards,
Shadders.
Questioning your assertions is not 'attacking'. Telling the OP he is just imagining what he hears is unhelpful and frankly disrespectful.

abacus

All solid state amps take a few minutes to warm up and stabilise from cold, with valves (Tubes) taking longer.

There is no reason to leave an amp powered on all the time when it only takes a few minutes to get to its optimum operating stance.

Standby was introduced to provide power to the electronics so that the amp could be operated by the remote control. (Or over a network if the amp has that facility)

Unless you really, really, really are afraid for the planet and/or your electric bills are massive then just leave it in standby.

Bill

Reactions: Gray
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts