LCD TV - advice on buying

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy an LCD HD TV but have no idea what I should be looking for as I have had the same 32" tube TV for years. My budget is £1000-£1500 and I would ideally like a 46" screen. I would would be using it in conjunction with a PS3, DVD player, and a TV Onics freeview recorder.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me advice on what kind of spec I should be going for (friends keep mentioning 1080p 100mhz) and a suitable models that might fit the bill.

I had a look in Richer Sounds recently and they recommended a Pioneer KRL46V, however I have not seen this mentioned on any website as a 'Best Buy'.

In addition to this could anyone tell me what brands I should be buying and how much should I be spending on cables?

Many Thanks

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Are you only looking at LCD or would you consider PLASMA? As often at these screen sizes Plasma offers better Value for you money.

A

Anonymous

I'd go for the Sony KDL-46W4500

Just picked one up from an official Sony Centres for £1160 (after hammering them down from £1640!!! ........ RESULT) with a 5 Year Warranty thrown in free, as well as a Chord HDMI Cable.

So far found the TV to be Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ............ hooked up to a Sony RDR-HXD890 , Sky Sat Box and a BDPS350 player .............. all picture qualities are good even SD when compared to HD input.

Richer Sounds have them listed at £1149.95 OR £1264.90 with a 5 yr Guarantee

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-KDL46W4500

Check out the reviews on this site ............. will give you an idea as well.

Good luck

The SCOOBY

A

Anonymous

Not really considered Plasma I thought this was a dying technology...... is this not the case?

What are the pro's and con's of LCD/Plasma?

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

The Sony KDL-46W4500 seems to be cropping up quite a lot when I checked the on line reviews. What is it like at handling football matches, some LCD's I have seen seem handle sports pretty badly.

Is it fairly easy to use the various functions?

Thanks

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Stimac:

Not really considered Plasma I thought this was a dying technology...... is this not the case?

Thanks for your help.

Plasma is far from dying and is alive and kicking and at screen sizes that you are looking at many prefer Plasma over LCD (I am one of them)

There are many pros and cons with both LCD and Plasma but ultimatly you must decide based upon the TV you preffer with your own eyes. Ask your local dealer to set up a audition with a LCD you like and say something like the Panasonic TH46PZ85B and take along a few DVDs you know well and trust your own eyes.

A

Anonymous

The Samsung Series 7 and 9 and possibly the Sony Z4500 fit your bill pretty well. The Pioneer isn't really proven in the LCD range yet, as their fairly new and I recently seen the Pio KRL46V and noticed some pretty uneven backlighting. The Samsung LE46A786 can be had around £1150, it's full HD 1080p 24fps,100mhz plus it features their new Smart LED Backlighting given you better contrast and black levels than alot of other LCD's on the market right now.

On Ebay, there is plenty of good HDMI leads knocking about. I got 3 new QED HDMI-P v1.3 cables for £45.

A

Anonymous

The only reason your seeing more and more LCD's compared to plasma's is becouse plasma's cost more to make so most manufactures have gone down the bigger profit route! Not for any preformance reasons.....I used to have a 40"sony lcd and recently changed this for a plasma and imo my new plasma looks so much better!

Although in fairness the plasmas a few generations newer

A

Anonymous

Stimac:
The Sony KDL-46W4500 seems to be cropping up quite a lot when I checked the on line reviews. What is it like at handling football matches, some LCD's I have seen seem handle sports pretty badly.

Is it fairly easy to use the various functions?

Thanks

Well do your research as there are problems with some of these sets.

A

Anonymous

Stimac:

Thanks for your help.

Dying, or being killed/

Remember Betamax was better than VHS and it died.

LCD, cheaper to make and lighter units to transport.

If, even it were dying, if its better? get it while you can. Soon only LCD may be available... God forbid!

If just seen Pioneers' attempt at 42 inch LDC, it was RUBBISH.

A

Anonymous

scooby can do - what store was this from - £1160 for W4500? you can PM me if you'd prefer

thanks

A

Anonymous

Yo Stimac,

I agree with some of the comments that have been posted and the most sensible ppl are saying 'make your own mind up', go to an independant dealer that have both technologys there on display, they can tell you what they think and you can see with your own mince pies.

I'm a plasma fan personaly because it performes better on sport, I play alot of dark scened games and the black levels have better contrast, the last thing you need is some one hiding in a dark corner and you cant see then and get shot. not good.

Someone said the Samsung series 7 and 9, I have to admit they are very good tv's, but I'm not sold on there 100hz pro tech, when watching the beautiful game and someone kicks the ball from one end to the other, the ball has a fit and flickers all the way plus when there is a lot of detail on the frame like a camera shots from the back of the net when someone scores, the tv really dosn't like it.

Sony have solved this with there 200Hz tv but this has the old back light system and I dont need to repeat myself.

Sony have got the new kdl46x4500 which had an RGB LED back light, in other words each cluster of led light are made up of 4, red,blue and two green, the reason for two green is because the human eye responds better to green, this has there 100Hz pro which is much better than Samsungs but still not 100% and also its going to blow you budged to peice's, I think about £3500. lol

So were back to plasma, pioneer have made some fantastic tv but are priced very highly, so were really only looking at panasonic and you can pick up a 46" tv for a very good price.

Well I hope I'v helped or made your decision even harder, ether way what ever your going to buy, you'll be happy with it.

Much love.

TRENDING THREADS