LCD or Plasma for watching the World Cup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want a second TV to watch the World Cup and have narrowed it down to the Panasonic TX L37G10 (LCD), £599 at Richer Sounds or the Panasonic TX P37X20B (Plasma) £459 at Dixons. I have a V+ box so I don't need Freesat. What do people think my best option would be?

D

Deleted member 2457

I have seen abit of these tv's and the G10 really impressed me, that has a fantastic picture on it
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

does it have to be 37in ? £640 gets you a 42g10 plasma at richer sounds , perfect for sport , and everything else , cracking tv ...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for getting back to me. It does have to be 37ins my wife won't let me get anything bigger. I am tending towards the plasma

A

Anonymous

id go for the plasma , only 720p , but at 37in thats fine , ideal for sport ..

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Plasma all the way! Far more natural colours (pitches look a very artificial green to my eyes on LCD's). Add in plasma's reduced motion blur and it's a done deal IMO.

I've had top of the range Sony and Panny LCD's recently - neither hold a candle to the Panny plasma I now have for watching the beautiful game ;)

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget what the WHF team have said, the gap between the two technologies is no longer there. You chose whichever you prefer.

A

Anonymous

Pindi:
Don't forget what the WHF team have said, the gap between the two technologies is no longer there. You chose whichever you prefer.
to a certain extent , yes .. but decent plasmas still have a more natural picture , are still better with motion and still show more detail in dark scenes
emotion-15.gif

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I know, that's why I travelled the world to find a Kuro!
emotion-58.gif

I don't think people should chose on the technology alone, the eyes will tell you all.
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

i agree , a friend of mine recently bought a sony 40w5500 , and its a lovely tv , i could quite happily live with one ..

D

Deleted member 2457

Pindi:

I know, that's why I travelled the world to find a Kuro!
emotion-58.gif

I don't think people should chose on the technology alone, the eyes will tell you all.
emotion-43.gif

Just out of interest you say you travelled the world for a Kuro, where did you buy one from?

Thanks

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have the 37in G10 and did a side by side with a Panasonic 37inch plasma (can't remember the model number) before I bought it (fortunatly they had them set up in John Lewis). I couldn't see much in it at the time but the G10 slightly edged it for my eyes. I have had no issue with the set at all, in fact I would heartilly recommend it. The SD and Freesat picture quality is tip top. I don't have BluRay so can't comment on that

One thing I would say and I'm not too sure as to the validity of this observation but...... I watched the Champions League match between Barca and Inter 2nd leg on ITV HD and I did notice at times there was some slight blurring around the odd player now and again. I have watched footy (and other sports) on BBC HD before now and not seen this effect so I put it down to the broadcast as it was only on close up shots, the players weren't moving quickly and the effect wasn't consistantly present. I may be way way off base with that comment, but it made me feel better to think that it was the reason and I hadn't bought the wrong telly
emotion-2.gif
. I have since made a point of watching the BBC and ITV HD channels and not seen the same effect again

On a final note, I know "er indoors" has drawn the line in the sand (mine did the same) but if I was choosing again, I'd risk a night in the spare room and go for the 42 inch G10 plasma . As Max says it is a different animal altogether with, IMHO a superior picture to the 37inch LCD.

A

Anonymous

Try the shrinking story on the missus - they do actually seem huge 42 inch TV's when you get them, but they shrink over time.

My missus says now she wishes we had got a 50 inch plasma and she was dead against 42 inches at first.

Muhahahaha (rings hands in future anticipation!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts