LCD/DVD Combi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like a LCD/DVD combi for my bedroom of decent size (min 20”) and value that offers good performance. Looking around these don’t seem to exist. My search started because my partner had a DMTech that, when we moved in together, was perfect for fitting on the wall and just having a power lead, aerial and nothing else. Unfortunately it started playing up and looking around I believe these are known to be unreliable. Decent manufacturers do not seem to do this option which I do find strange as the idea of these flat panels is to maximise space and flexibility. They come with free view integrated now but I find it frustrating while I can mount a LCD on a wall I still need some shelf sticking out to mount a DVD player. I can accept this in a front room with an AV system etc but for rooms like bedrooms and kitchens surely the large players are missing out on a market segment? Has anyone got any views and advice on this subject?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
19in seems to be the maximum size for flatscreen/DVD combos right now - there's a decent Daewoo example in the Supertest in our current issue.

Some manufacturers are working on larger screens with built-in hard-disk drives (Sharp has one on the way, for example), but I know of no bigger flatscreen/DVD combos in the pipeline.

Interestingiy, though, both Toshiba and Optoma are doing brisk business for their projectors with built-in DVD players and speakers, as a one-box big-screen solution. Got any white walls in your bedroom?

A

Anonymous

I know the DMTECH i was looking at last night was a 20" (WT20XT). It did stuggle to load on of my new DVDs like the last one which made me chuckle. I would almost certainly want a 3-5 year warrenty with it which puts the cost up to £500-£520 respectively which is plenty of money to get a decent make / decent size lcd.

Most of my place has white walls, a projector was something i was thinking about for the front room but as recomended by yourselves i would get a screen with it.

I'm starting to wander whether i should search for a wall mountable DVD player instead? Again this is something i have not come across other than very expensive units.

A

Anonymous

I found a site that states its not wall mountable with DVD which is a shame as started to look promising.

As for my search for a wall mounted DVD player, other than Bang & Ousten, Yamada Chili is the only other make i can find so far and not looking at paying money for something i know nothing about...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jolly F"]

I found a site that states its not wall mountable with DVD which is a shame as started to look promising.

[/quote]

Ah yes - having downloaded the manual, it now seems that the DVD player here is a standard tray-loader, built into the stand, rather than a sideways slot-loader behind the screen.

Got a bit excited when I found a page about mounting it to the wall, but turns out it's about attaching it to the wall so it doesn't fall off whatever it's standing on if there's an earthquake!

A

Anonymous

Well thanks anyway, i will have a look at the 19" daewoo in this months magazine. Falling that i'll just need to look for a small DVD player to sit on a shelf which is far from ideal unfortunately but still no luck looking for a wall mounted DVD player...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts