Latest Sony Bravias - 1080p = 6.2 megapixels?!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In the list of features for some of the newer Sony Bravia models, it is claimed that the screen has 6.2 megapixels in one bullet point, while in another it says the screen has a 1080p resolution ie. 1920 by 1080 pixels, which is a total number of 2073600 pixels (or approx. 2.1 megapixels). How can this contradiction be explained? I mean, the screen cannot have two differing resolutions, so what on earth is going on? Any response from the What Hi-Fi staff, or anyone else who can answer would be much appreciated

A

Anonymous

I posted about this on Fri, Dec 28 2007 6:12 PM I have noticed that Sony have specified that their new Bravia LCDs are 6.2 Megapixel panels. With 1080p HD being a little over 2 Megapixels, does this mean that there will be;

a) even H-er D in the future

b) the ability to play PC games at this resolution unlike 2000 series Bravias I would say that in retrospect, 6.2mp would be the native resolution of these panels. And perhaps both a) and b) are correct.

A

Anonymous

I would be very grateful if someone from the What Hi-Fi team could answer this. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

It is simply marketing borrocks that we see time and time again from CE companies. You have 2.07 Million red pixels, 2.07 million green pixels and, yes, 2.07 million blue ones too. Therefore you have a 6.2 Mpixel screen. Complete and utter rubbish but it sounds good to the uniformed mases.

This is my first post here - Had a good look around since I am in the market for a new television and am super impressed by these forums and the engagement of the staff. Have loved What HiFi for ages so that does not surprise me - keep up the great work

Andrew from Belgium

A

Anonymous

Nice one Andrew you've really cleared that up for me. I've noticed that Sony have all sorts of advertising gimmicks like this in their catalogue; x.v.colour, 10-bit panel, Live Colour Creation and loads of other rubbish 'enhancers' with little meaningless diagrams that remind me of those shampoo adverts where they have animations to show the 'science' behind how the product gets rid of dandruff or whatever. It's patronising, and at the same time confusing. Have you seen the stickers down the side of Bravia sets on display? They have endless abbreviations and stuff that supposedly actually does something. People who don't know better may think that they need all these features.

A

Anonymous

You are so right Benjamin. Of course the other trick they play is the "mass model move." There are dozens of Bravia TVs so that Joe Blogs going into the supermarket or white goods store sees this amazing 40" Bravia TV for only £800 and thinks he is getting a great bargain because Bravias are the best. The fact that he could get two models up on a website for the same price never crosses his mind because the shop in which he is looking only sells the cheapo model and the sales droid lies tha this is the best TV Sony make and it is on special offer!

True story - a close relation of mine was buying a new TV and the shop assistant told him that it was not worth considering picture quality because all the flat screen TVs are much the same. Buy the one I get the most commission on (I am not sure if he actually said that but...)

A

Anonymous

oops! I was thinking more along the lines of:

241409286-S.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts