laser record player ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, there is. It works by scanning the grooves with a laser. It's been around in various forms for some years - last time I looked it cost about $10k, IIRC.

Details here.

A

Anonymous

Absolutely inspired, and endorsed by Keith Jarret himself! Sold. Hang on, how much is that you say? Still, this is a pretty fascinating application of new tecnology to a "legacy" format. If the mag managed to get their hands on one, I'd be very interested to know more.

John Duncan

Well yes but they were doing this 20 years ago, so is not a new application. And furthermore, it completely negates the prime benefit of vinyl - ie the removal of digital conversion from the signal chain............

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I remember reading about the development of this product some years ago.

The idea was to develop a turntable which would play scratched records without you hearing the scratches. The laser supposedly `digs` right down into the record to where the music is, by-passing the actual surface layer and hence the listener not hearing any scratches.

When I read this article however, there was no mention of laser technology. Was disappointed when I finally discovered it did involve lasers and not some form of `super stylus`.

Well, thats how I remember it but it was as I said something I read some years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts