Large or Small speaker setting

michael hoy

I recently purchased the Monitor Audio Apex AV speakers, I have now changed my amp from a Denon 1909 to a Pioneer SC-LX72.

The LX72 using the auto setup wants to set my speakers to large, with a crossover of 80Hz, should I run them set to large or change them to small.

Also if set to small do I need to turn off the THX settings for the speakers and sub.

scene

I'd set them to small, as this means all the LFE is re-directed to the Sub, which is the best set up for 5.1. The Apex AV speakers are small, so this should be the correct setting anyway.
Not sure on the THX stuff.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Michael Hoy,

Set all the speakers to small and use 80Hz all around.

Unless your speakers or subwoofer is THX-certified, you can turn these settings OFF.

On my Onkyo 875, 80Hz (THX) is shown this way, and there is a further setting for the subwoofer, which I can turn on with a further adjustment if my sub is THX-certified.

Ronald

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Not quite sure how it works with a pioneer but if you run your amp with THX on then it will give the sub BGC (boundary gain control) if your sub is not thx then this will confuse it.The thx setting for the speakers would mean that it Re equalises the signal to thx standard which can be bass light without a thx sub. Personally i would set all speakers to small and 80Hz so long as the sub can handle it, if it bottoms out try cutting the LFE level.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy: I recently purchased the Monitor Audio Apex AV speakers, I have now changed my amp from a Denon 1909 to a Pioneer SC-LX72.

The LX72 using the auto setup wants to set my speakers to large, with a crossover of 80Hz, should I run them set to large or change them to small.

Also if set to small do I need to turn off the THX settings for the speakers and sub. It's been said before, but definitely small. Only floorstanding speakers should be set to large, but even then, setting them to small has it's benefits. You could even experiment with 90 or 100Hz if you like high volumes.

On the subject of high volumes, I find THX has it's benefits at or near Reference Level (loud!), but not at low or normal listening levels.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:
I recently purchased the Monitor Audio Apex AV speakers, I have now changed my amp from a Denon 1909 to a Pioneer SC-LX72.

Also if set to small do I need to turn off the THX settings for the speakers and sub.

Hi Michael, hows you?

I know alot of people will recommend setting your speakers to small, unless there floorstanders etc
I personally do NOT agree with this at all, even WHSAV only recommend the small setting if your speakers are little box ones that you can hold in your hand.

My pioneer Amp had set my speakers to large and 80hz and rightfully so. I did an experiment once where out of curiosity i set my speakers to small and i could tell instantly the depth drop in sound, it was like all the bass and power had be drained from the sound it was awful mate, terrible. Without any hesitation i immediately changed em back to large, id certainly recommend you do an A/B comparison Michael where im sure youll tell and hear the difference, then you decide?

Cheers Mate

michael hoy

Hi Jase,

Nice to hear from you again, hope you are well.

I am thinking of changing back to large on the settings, I do not know if it is my speakers (sub) running in or the new amp running in, but the bass has suddenly increased to a point where it is booming.

Maybe before I can make any definite setting changes, I will need to let everything settle down.

The Pioneer amp is superb and a good match for the Apex speakers.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:
Hi Jase,

Nice to hear from you again, hope you are well.

I am thinking of changing back to large on the settings, I do not know if it is my speakers (sub) running in or the new amp running in, but the bass has suddenly increased to a point where it is booming.

Maybe before I can make any definite setting changes, I will need to let everything settle down.

The Pioneer amp is superb and a good match for the Apex speakers.

Im great thanks Michael, i would say its a case of ALL your system running in mate, but id certainly recommend leaving them set to large then do an A/B comparison abit later on when all is settled down, And yes i agree your amp is excellent as all pioneers are, there my favs anyway mate.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Just looking at your signature Michael and we have the same kit more or less mate, bluray player, pioneer amps, classic powerkords, QED silver reference HDMIs.

Cool, ha

michael hoy

Quite spooky, seeing as you were one of the first people I was in contact with after joining the forum.

emotion-2.gif

michael hoy

jase fox:michael hoy:
Quite spooky, seeing as you were one of the first people I was in contact with after joining the forum.

emotion-2.gif

It sure is Mate, ha

Glad I took your advise on the 2500 BT, otherwise would not have been worth the other upgrades, next should be the TV but will have to wait for now.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:jase fox:michael hoy:

emotion-2.gif

It sure is Mate, ha

Glad I took your advise on the 2500 BT, otherwise would not have been worth the other upgrades, next should be the TV but will have to wait for now.

Yes, the 2500BT is still a top player. Id say you should go up to at least a 50" screen minimum Michael, when funding permits of course, ha

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:I would love a 50", but at this moment in time one will not fit, see my post here.
Oh i see your problem, lovely neat setup Michael, with the sky HD box aswell it looks like my AV rack, ha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts