Laptop Headphone Setup (advice)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I am fairly new to this, but after some deliberated research, I am looking to get close to a HiFi sound as possible from my computer based music.

My current setup is Sennheiser HD555's from a 3.5 audio output on a Macbook Pro, and after listening to my headphones via a HIFI system, realised I was not getting the full potential from my headphones, hence this quest began. After researching I have been looking to get either of these following setup's and would like advice if it would be good or if there are better...

[1] Macbook > Beresford Caiman via USB, Graham Slee Solo Amp > Sennheiser HD555

[2] Macbook > Cambridge Audio DACmagic > Graham Slee Solo Amp > Sennheiser HD555

A third option would be to have a Presonus FP10 (or firepod) via Firewire to a dedicated headphone amp as I also do home recordings, but I do not know if 1. if it is a DAC and outputs an analogue signal, or 2. if it is, whether or not it would be a suitable DAC for HiFi listening. Here is more information on the product...

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=5

All music is played via iTunes and ripped in AIFF/WAV lossless format. Are these good choices? Or are there better? Im trying to get the best performance I can with the headphones I have, possibly in some near future looking to upgrade to HD650's, but for the time being I'm sticking with the HD555's.

Any advice would be very welcomed :)

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

If I remember correctly Stan was tuning beresford`s amp with hd650`s so can assume that they match perfectly, and you could also save some pennies on separate headphone amp in case you happy with beresford.

Regards

John Duncan

My first thought was that adding the Slee to the Caiman might be overkill too. I've had very good results with a stock Fubar IV with Grados, but if you want to spend more you can go with the Plus edition or add the Supplier power supply. Looks cool too
emotion-1.gif
. just a thought.

idc

With regards to the Presonus, I do not think it would do what you want. It has a ADC not a DAC and the headphone input appears to be so that you can listen to the various inputs and monitor them.

On your original post I would go with No 1 minus the Slee amp, using the Beresford on its own.

A

Anonymous

Okies cool, thanx for the response guys. I was wondering then, has anyone used the beresford or tested one? I have looked up the beresford and lots of people highly rate it, but would be interesting to see how it performs. Also one person mentioned the Fubar IV, which one would people suggest is better?

John Duncan

Plenty of people on here have used the Beresford and rate it, and I and (I think) idc have the Fubar IV (or variations thereof). Not having heard the Beresford I can't comment, but I'd expect there to be not much in it, though the Beresford is much more flexible input-wise, whereas the Fubar is better made (IMO).

A

Anonymous

Well seeing as you're interested in music production you could try the EMU 0404 USB. I 've been playing with one a while and am very pleased with it both as an audio interface and a standalone DAC. Also gets a "good write up" on the computeraudiophile site.

Headphone amp seems pretty good but I've only tried it with some Sennheiser HD 25's and my newly acquired Bose QC15's.

Oh the the mic amps (it has got phantom power) are pretty good too and very quiet. Good luck

TRENDING THREADS