lack of bass

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi just got my new mission mv8 and wired them up to my nad c350 amp and my marantz cd player.the speakers sound good but seem to lack bass intill the amp is turned up ,could this be the speaker cable i use is very thick,when i bought it about 8 years ago it was £15 a m. any help would be great.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lack of bass is usually down to one of the following:

- Speakers running in (as suggested).
- Placement and set up.
- Room acoustics (eg.Suspended wooden floor can play havoc)
- Speakers too small (unlikely if floorstanders)
- The amps ability to drive the speakers.
- Cabling can (imo) have a noticeable but relatively small effect.

Put on some bass heavy music, and leave the CDP on repeat for a few days, and see if things improve.
If not, give us a detailed description of your room (suspended floor?) and how it's furnished (lots of carpeting, heavy drapes and soft furnishings can over deaden the room).
Also, where your speakers are positioned with regard to walls and corners.

A

Anonymous

hi my room is a long rectangle shape with solid wooden flooring the speakers are on the back wall on the long side,adout 3ft in from the corners and about 6ft apart they both are sbout 6"from the wall.i will put some drum and bass on repeat when i go to work on monday and see if that helps.thanks

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Probably not the speaker cable - unless it's got ridiculously high capacitance / resistance which could curtail the lower frequencies.

Are you sure your speakers are wired in phase?

You can Google "phase test track" to check this.

However, even with them in phase and with the best speaker cable in the world I still wouldn't expect great quantity nor quality of bass from the MV8's. They have tiny 6" mid-bass cones and are built very much down to a budget.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to but in on the thread but having a slight issue with the same.

Speakers still running in and last demo week this week.

I have suspended wooden floor, converted victorian house, room 3.5m x 5m large sofa and an armchair in room , floor is carpet matting.

Speakers are currently on the long wall but will be moving room around today as I am sure will get a much better sound firing along the room than across.

Top end and middle sound perfect to me , just wanted to try and get more bass out of the speakers ( I like a lot of bass ) at low volumes, high volumes there is plenty.

As the speakers are on demo I have not put the spikes in yet, I thought this would effect the bass response especially as the speakers have a downward port, would this be correct ??

Thanks again for any input, sorry again about the hijack, just coincidence this came up as is my to do plan today.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Shanka said:
Top end and middle sound perfect to me , just wanted to try and get more bass out of the speakers ( I like a lot of bass ) at low volumes, high volumes there is plenty. As the speakers are on demo I have not put the spikes in yet, I thought this would effect the bass response especially as the speakers have a downward port, would this be correct ??

Downward firing ports are going to need clearance from the floor to do their job. I'd say get the spikes fitted asap.

Shanka said:
.... just wanted to try and get more bass out of the speakers ( I like a lot of bass ) at low volumes, high volumes there is plenty.

You are describing a normal effect here. There is always less perceived bass at lower volumes. It is why loudness controls were invented.

You doubtless know that the closer to the walls you place the speakers, the more bass will typically result. But if you get the balance right at low volumes, it will be too much at higher levels.

I suggest you get the imaging right first, and approx distance from boundaries, then (as chebby says) fit the spikes to ensure the bass is working at it should. It's easier to slide them around without the spikes, obviously!

Good luck.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for both responses, reason also for not putting spikes on yet apart from the demo aspect was so as I could slide speakers about a bit as was getting the right positioning sorted out.
I am currently happy with the imaging and agree with problems of back walls booming and what happens if I crank it up a bit.

I used to have speakes on tiles, my Missions still are as this tightens up their bass very nicely but was not going to do this with the Proac's as I don't think they will need it.

I will try the spikes in their current position as this will probably give me what is that little bit missing.

I will still try moving the room about but will take spikes out again to get the imaging correct again.

I am loving these speakers so much already, I can't see them going back and the fact that I know they will keep improving over the next couple of weeks just makes my smile a little bit bigger,

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts