Kuro competitors?

arashid

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I've read on the VT20 thread that there are some TV that can approach the Kuro's performance in some areas.

Claire, can you please let us know which ones.

I'm guessing it is the Sony HX903, Panasonic VT20. Are there any more?

Also if I can purchase one of the 2008 Kuro's (old stock) for around 2000 GBP for a 50 inch, would anyone advise me to go for it?

The 2008 Kuro....is it used? It's the 8th generation Kuro, not the 9th generation, I think. So much good as the Kuro is, I think with that money, you're better off buying one of the newer TVs.

Check the latest issue of What Hi-Fi for a comparison between 50-inch 2011 TVs.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I would say that £2k is over the odd's even for a KRP500a. The newer sets from Panasonic will give you more in SD, HD and with the benefit of 3D as well at that price.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Agreed.

While I'd not encourage anyone lucky enough to have a last-gen Kuro to upgrade just yet - unless they really want 3D, of course - the latest, 2011 sets surpass the Pioneer in several areas - partcularly detail rendition, and of course features.

I'd include the best LCDs in there, alongside plasma. We've got some 2011 plasma tests coming up in next issue....

arashid

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
thanks all for your responses

It's a new set, from the Pioneer Dubai dealer (I live in Dubai), 8th Gen, 1366x768 and the dealer has some units left which adamantly, they will only sell at the full 2008 retail price.

I have a brand new U series (basically a Full Hd version of the X series entry level) 50 inch panasoinc, but the glare is so much, it's very very annoying.

Amongst all the things the kuro did right, the direct color filter and the anti reflective tech was superb.

I guess I'll wait for the 2011 reviews to come out.

Regards

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree, it's not worth paying that price for an 8th gen Kuro.

That said, if picture performance is your main priority, It's disheartening looking at what's available right now.

2010 Panasonic: floating blacks, some motion issues, buzzing/whining.

2011 Panasonic: so far, floating blacks and buzzing reported by owners in the UK and stateside (let's see what happens with the VT30).

Samasung D7000/D8000: clouding, banding and motion stutter (missing frames) reported by owners.

Having looked at so many TVs of late, I couldn't find a single LED set that didn't suffer from backlight bleed to some extent, which is less of a problem during the day. If you want to watch a film in low lighting, however, it's quite distracting and I wouldn't find this satisfactory.

That's my dilemma right now. Keep my V20 and live with its tinnitus inducing whine, or return it and spend more for a TV that still doesn't work properly.

I know this all sounds very negative. Some will suggest I'm too fussy and should focus on the positive aspects of performance, but I really can't find a TV on sale at the moment that doesn't suffer from a problem I'd consider more than a little distracting, no matter how much I'm prepared to pay. I'm open to suggestions...

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I just ( 2 weeks ago) paid £1400 for a Pioneer kuro 5090. It came with a stand and side speakers. I had sold my SONY 46 HX803 to fund it. I have to say it was the best thing I have ever done. Watching the Dark Knight on Blu Ray was like watching a brand new film. It looked good on my SONY HX, but nothing in comparison to the KURO!! I can't believe how black the blacks are, the colours are also as rich as anything I have ever seen.

I personally don't think anything in the current market can touch a KURO. I auditioned the Panasonic V20, and although the set was good, I opted for the KURO. If you could get the 9th generation for under £1500, I think you will still have a bargain on your hands.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The difficulty is, as Pioneer found to their cost, that quality costs money, and there is a limit to what the public are prepared to pay.

When they introduced their first 1080p 42" TV I think it was £5k; their 50" was £6k. Now I know that was a bit over the top, but it may be closer to where the price needed to be.

If you buy a Pioneer set, it "may" be overtaken by outright performance, but it is unlikely to be beaten on quality at the prices of the main contendors. For that level of quality (not necessarily performance) you are looking at the likes of B&O, Loewe or possibly Philips.

Just my opinion of course.

arashid

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

I spent 2 hours at the pioneer showroom in dubai looking at the 8th gen panel.

The colours are fantastic. Black levels are perfect.

However the picture sharpness and detail levels, even in HD leave a lot to be desired.

So does the brightness.

However the richness of the colors make up for all deficiencies.

After coming home and comparing to my sony LCD, I'd say that LCD technology also has advantages compared to plasma

Pioneer plasmas typically consume more than 400 watts.

While the colour saturation on Sony LCD isn't at the pioneer plasma level, it still is very good.

There is no burn in problem.

White levels on LCD are far far superior to plasma

And the matte screen is better for reflections.

But dammit, that pioneer is so damn good !!!

arashid

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

However the picture sharpness and detail levels, even in HD leave a lot to be desired.

So does the brightness.

After coming home and comparing to my sony LCD, I'd say that LCD technology also has advantages compared to plasma

While the colour saturation on Sony LCD isn't at the pioneer plasma level, it still is very good.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I would love to get more detail rendition as my 8th gen Kuro 4280 set is only 720p but I'm not remotely interested in 3d. It seems each of the mainstream manufacturer's premium sets are offering 3d, if they didn't then no doubt they'd be losing a star due to lack of features. Is there anything that offers 9th gen Kuro blacks (or better), modern portal features, and great motion handling without making me fork out for 3d?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
jacobmorrison said:
I would love to get more detail rendition as my 8th gen Kuro 4280 set is only 720p but I'm not remotely interested in 3d. It seems each of the mainstream manufacturer's premium sets are offering 3d, if they didn't then no doubt they'd be losing a star due to lack of features. Is there anything that offers 9th gen Kuro blacks (or better), modern portal features, and great motion handling without making me fork out for 3d?

It's a tough one. To get anything approaching the level of performance you describe you'll need to spend upwards of £1,500, in my opinion. You could audition a Samsung UE46D7000 or D8000. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the two, apart from subtly different bezels. That and a remote designed with gadgeteers in mind with the D8000, which might prove more of a pain to use than a pleasure.

You can hang fire for reviews of the Panasonic VT30, as well. I wouldn't expect 9th gen Kuro blacks, but my V20 certainly goes black enough for me.

Of course both are 3D-ready, but this is true of high end TVs from all manufacturers this year. I'd regard 3D as a feature you may get some use out of in the future and focus on 2D performance instead.

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
arashid said:
Hi all

So does the brightness.

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, my computer is playing up. I can't comment on the detail of the 8th generation KUROs, but my 9th generation when fed with SKY HD and Blu Ray especially cannot be touched by any TV on the market today. Can't really comment on the upcoming V30, but the V20 in my opinion did not get close to the 5090 KURO!!

nufcmarson

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, my computer is playing up. I can't comment on the detail of the 8th generation KUROs, but my 9th generation when fed with SKY HD and Blu Ray especially cannot be touched by any TV on the market today. Can't really comment on the upcoming V30, but the V20 in my opinion did not get close to the 5090 KURO!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts