Klipsch S4i vs X10i - Microphone

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a new pair of headphones when (hopefully) I get my new iPhone 4. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the S4i and the X10i, as both have microphones as well as being what I imagine are good quality headphones. The S4i's are my favourite at the moment (purely due to price) but I've read stories of people finding the mic placement to be poor. As I will be using the phone for work, this is quite an important point for me. The review on here doesn't even mention the microphone, does anyone have any experience of either of these headphones?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
'Er Indoors has Klipsch S4is and seems permanently (since Dec 25) hooked up to her wretched iPhone with no complaints whatsoever; I have (non-mic) X10s and I'm still startled by their SQ each time I use 'em. The S4is also seem to be very robust...

IMHO, there's a discernible difference 'tween the X10 and S4i's SQ - although the latter's SQ is still light years ahead of Apple's - but whether the X10s are worth the extra £130-ish is your, er, call.
emotion-1.gif

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply. Does your good lady find the microphone to be of good quality and audible to the person on the other end, even outside?

Thanks again for answering.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Always moaned re the Apple earphones' mic, but never complains re the Klipschs' - inside or outside - and from my end she's always crystal clear, not so with the Apples.

But there is one anomaly: if talking while at London Bridge station during PA announcements, the "train at platform..." is more audible than her conversation, although this is overcome by placing the mic closer to her mouth. I specify London Bridge because it never occurs during PAs anywhere else, Paddington or Heathrow, for example.

Others will argue that the Sennheiser equivalent(s) have better SQ - mic and music - but they're reputedly very fragile and one of the earpieces are prone to fail after only a few months. The S4is are withstanding much 'buried-in-handbag abuse', so far...

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have the S4i's and find the microphone is too far away from my mouth. I therefore always hold the mic with my hand - not a massive problem and I believe there is a clip-on tool included in the box though... but I've never been fond on attaching myself to any electronic items.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
SnowyJohn:I have the S4i's and find the microphone is too far away from my mouth. I therefore always hold the mic with my hand - not a massive problem and I believe there is a clip-on tool included in the box though... but I've never been fond on attaching myself to any electronic items.

Apart from high quality headphones that is?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts