Kitset speaker question

Jan 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello all. I'm thinking about putting together a Troels Gravesen set of speakers, specifically the CNO-25-mk2. I have been collecting antique english oak for the cabinets(I'm a cabinetmaker), so as far as I can tell the project should come in at about 4kNZ$, give or take. (I'm in New Zealand).
I'm wondering if this is a reasonable price for this level of performance? I've always liked SEAS drivers, and I really enjoy making my own audio gear so making the cabinets is not part of the equation. It'll be matched to a Neurochrome Modulus-86. So I guess my question is: Can I get a better set of premade speakers, or is this kitset the way to go? Thanks all!

Oh, here's a link:

Jan 19, 2023
Visit site
sure :)

A set of KEF Q950's is 2.5K, Polk signature s50 are about 900$, wharfedale d300 5.1 set is 2K$, krix neuphonix mark 2 is 9k$.

Edit: a set of wharfedale evo 4.4 is about 3.5k, about where this is.

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I'll watch this thread with interest. I helped my father to build a pair of Wharfedale Unit 5 kits in the 70's , great memories.
I'd love to build speakers again.

Jan 19, 2023
Visit site
check the link out, that's a "low end" build. It still has all the xovers/padding/speakers etc. You can drop another 700 euro on higher quality xover gear with a higher specced version. Much quicker to read the link.

check the link out, that's a "low end" build. It still has all the xovers/padding/speakers etc. You can drop another 700 euro on higher quality xover gear with a higher specced version. Much quicker to read the link.

Well, you’re right, they are very high spec SEAS drive units. They would do justice to complete speakers at 3 or 4 times the price here. Of course, it’s all about the implementation, and I’ve heard that Gravesen is well respected as a designer. In the UK the Evo 4.4 is about £1200 a pair. About the only roughly comparable kit in the UK is this. https://wilmslowaudio.co.uk/wa-tl3-...ustomisations[cabinet-finishes]=Cherry Veneer
A similar price without cabinet, around £1250. Or another £1000 for a fully built veneered cabinet.

The big unknown is the finish and accuracy of your cabinets, and whether you like the outcome. Unfortunately, self-built speakers - however brilliant - usually have poor resale if you want to move them on. But with your skills you could up with a great speaker system!

Is there any audio contacts/forums/groups in NZ where you might get to hear some? And some KEFs or Wharfedales too?

As you can tell, it’s impossible to advise, but hopefully you’ll make a decision that’s right for you.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts