Kitchen Audio System - Advice needed

GregC

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
I am hoping to get some advice, I am lucky enough to have a fairly large kitchen, at present I have a Google Next display in the 'middle' of one wall and at either end of the same wall I have a Google Home Max. The time I get to listen to 'my music' is when cooking but I am finding the sound of the Google Home Max's a little dissapointing - they seem to miss really punchy sound with what I could describe as good clean bass.

What I would ideally like is a set up that has really punchy, clean sound, can go up quite loud and that plays nicely with Google Home (not adverse to switching to Alexa if better - ease of use, eg play Radio 4, play Planet Rock etc is what I am after).

Thinking of Sonos or Audio Pro (maybe with a sub?). Anyone got any recommendations or thoughts? I've got an Audio Pro C5 Addon which is great (but in itself not got enough oomph for that to be the whole setup).

In terms of sources Radio features heavily, for streaming I typically use either Tidal or Spotify.

Hope you can help :)

scene

Hi GregC, what's your budget?

If you can stretch to it, and want to stay wireless, a pair of Sonos Play 5, set up as a stereo pair would give superb sound, would support your Tidal and Spotify and will sort of work with google. Well that latters an understatement. You can happily get Google to swap and choose radio stations (via TuneIn), I do it all the time and it does work. For music streaming of you've got premium Spotify/Tidal accounts you can get google to control the speakers but just requires a few more words...

The play 3s are cheaper, but I think the Google home max edges the Play 3.

With the play 5s, the bass is excellent, so don't think you'd need a sub. Just a bit awkward to wall mount...

GregC

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. Budget is up to c£1500. I think I need to have a play with the Sonos Play 5's to see what they are like - the reviews on YouTube seem to say they are a little better than the Google Home Max but not drastically so - I guess the problem is so much is down to personal taste.

If anyone has experience of the Play 5 vs the Google Home Max or other suggestions please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

scene

Thanks for your thoughts. Budget is up to c£1500. I think I need to have a play with the Sonos Play 5's to see what they are like - the reviews on YouTube seem to say they are a little better than the Google Home Max but not drastically so - I guess the problem is so much is down to personal taste.

If anyone has experience of the Play 5 vs the Google Home Max or other suggestions please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
I'd agree that a Play 5 is not hugely better than a Google Home Max, but a pair of Play 5s set up as a stereo pair, is much better than a pair of Home Max(es). Your local dealer should be able to do a demo - I know Sevenoaks will do this. And, as ever, no substitute for a demo :)

GregC

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Thought I would post an update - so...being a knobber 😂 I bought the new Naims (Muso and QB), they were great but after a while I found them really lacking in bottom end. I bought a pair of Sonos 5’s and a Sonos Sub - haven’t looked back, they are fantastic!

I am now selling the Naims if anyone is interested :)

Appreciated your advice - I wasn’t able to find anyone locally who could demo the two Sonos speakers with a Sub (or even without!) - it may have been a less expensive decision making process had I been able to organise that.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thought I would post an update - so...being a knobber 😂 I bought the new Naims (Muso and QB), they were great but after a while I found them really lacking in bottom end. I bought a pair of Sonos 5’s and a Sonos Sub - haven’t looked back, they are fantastic!

Appreciated your advice - I wasn’t able to find anyone locally who could demo the two Sonos speakers with a Sub (or even without!) - it may have been a less expensive decision making process had I been able to organise that.

I have 1 x Play 5 in my kitchen and it certainly has some welly behind it, I imagine 2 plus a sub sounds like a flipping panzer division. Good work.

scene

Sorry to hear you couldn't find anyone to help you demo! But glad to hear you've got a set up you're happy with now (y)

manicm

Assuming you have space for two smallish bookshelf speakers, I recently got my mum a Denon Ceol N10 system with its own speakers. You can get the unit separately but the speakers are so cheap it’s a no brainer. Got it on a Black Friday special but you can still get it at around 350 quid.

It doesn’t have earth shaking bass, but oddly Flacs played through the USB sound full and great. The sound quality is great for what it is - clear and open. It has everything and the kitchen sink, including Alexa if you get an Amazon device. Has Spotify etc, fully connected.

Honestly for the price I have found it a steal, and have the tv connected to it too via optical. Comes in black, white or grey. The white is just fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts