Kimber Silver Streak I/Cs

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Glad the S.Ss have finally got a review. I've had mine for a couple of years and concur with your findings totally. I bought them used off eBay (£60 for .5m) to replace my VDH The Bay I/Cs, which were free when I bought the Arcams.

I found the VDHs to be too soft and cloying, and the S.Ss redressed the balance (perhaps a touch too far the other way when combined with the QED S.A speaker wire). But I find them incredibly detailed with a wide and deep soundstage. A pefect addition to the Arcams, and probably the reason I can't agree with the opinion that Arcams are dull and lifeless.

OK. So when new they are pricey, and the Arcams are lower down the 'food chain' than the cables are, but I'd recommend that anyone needing to inject some vigour into their music, should take a listen.

Just my $0.02.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Glad the S.Ss have finally got a review. I've had mine for a couple of years and concur with your findings totally. I bought them used off eBay (£60 for .5m) to replace my VDH The Bay I/Cs, which were free when I bought the Arcams.

I found the VDHs to be too soft and cloying, and the S.Ss redressed the balance (perhaps a touch too far the other way when combined with the QED S.A speaker wire). But I find them incredibly detailed with a wide and deep soundstage. A pefect addition to the Arcams, and probably the reason I can't agree with the opinion that Arcams are dull and lifeless.

OK. So when new they are pricey, and the Arcams are lower down the 'food chain' than the cables are, but I'd recommend that anyone needing to inject some vigour into their music, should take a listen.

Just my $0.02.

Interesting Chris - been wondering what effect they'd have on my system.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I used to use qeds silver biwire to feed my arcams. I too got some silver streak off ebay which made a HUGH improvement (And made me think qeds silver spiral is WAY over hyped!). Ive since tried some custom made solid silver cables also off ebay which are even better (And far cheaper)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Drummerdave:Big Chris:Glad the S.Ss have finally got a review. I've had mine for a couple of years and concur with your findings totally. I bought them used off eBay (£60 for .5m) to replace my VDH The Bay I/Cs, which were free when I bought the Arcams.

Just my $0.02.

How do you regard your sound? If you feel like it needs a 'boot up the backside', that's the kind of effect the Silver Streaks had on my stuff. If your sound is more towards the top end of the range, they may be too much for you. I'm sure your stuff would make more of the clarity and definition than mine does.

I always keep an eye open for deals on I/Cs on eBay. I know that I'd be able to get my money back if I wanted to try something else.

If I had something to use in the meantime, I'd be happy to loan them to you for a spell, but I haven't (yet!). Also, liking them could hurt your bank balance!

:)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Drummerdave:Big Chris:Glad the S.Ss have finally got a review. I've had mine for a couple of years and concur with your findings totally. I bought them used off eBay (£60 for .5m) to replace my VDH The Bay I/Cs, which were free when I bought the Arcams.

Just my $0.02.

How do you regard your sound? If you feel like it needs a 'boot up the backside', that's the kind of effect the Silver Streaks had on my stuff. If your sound is more towards the top end of the range, they may be too much for you. I'm sure your stuff would make more of the clarity and definition than mine does.

I always keep an eye open for deals on I/Cs on eBay. I know that I'd be able to get my money back if I wanted to try something else.

If I had something to use in the meantime, I'd be happy to loan them to you for a spell, but I haven't (yet!). Also, liking them could hurt your bank balance!

:)

A lot of the time I feel like my sound could benefit from more clarity and deeper soundstage; that my system is hamstrung by inferior cables, so yes Chris, I think it could do with a kick up the proverbial. Thanks for the offer by the way.

I have asked in another post about the Merlin Chopin (obviously a lesser cable than the Silver Streak) because it's available online at half price at £40. For that price it may be worth the risk as it's fairly well reviewed - my only concern is it's name - if it was called the Merlin Meshuggah it would be a no brainer. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts