kimber kable naked interconnect

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

apparently designed for sale on the luxury chinese market...

D

Deleted member 188516

They start at $10,250 for a 50cm pair...

The same shop also lists a USB cable starting at $2000, so your ones and zeros arrive shiny and clean.

i see the price of such cables and just think what's the point ?

i mean you can buy the actual active speakers used in studios for that sort of money...the same speaker set ups that the music we listen to is mixed on...

having said that it is aimed at the "luxury market" (?) hence the pointless gem stones that are fixed on the plugs.

it uses copper as the conductor. i wonder how much a silver conductor version would cost ?!

Looking at the cable co's website, here's a list of most expensive cables:

Interconnects 4m $35k.
Speaker cable 3m $89k.
Mains lead 3m $31k.
Phono cable 3m $48k.
Digital coax 3m $19k.
Digital optical 2m $5.5k.
USB 3m $19k.
HDMI 5m a mere $700 - though they will flog you a 30m one.
Subwoofer 10m $5.5k.
iPod cable 3m $3.5k - so that's how many times as much as the iPod?
Jumper cables 35cm $10.5k.
Guitar cable, 20ft - $12k.

Madness.

D

Deleted member 188516

Looking at the cable co's website, here's a list of most expensive cables:

Interconnects 4m $35k.
Speaker cable 3m $89k.
Mains lead 3m $31k.
Phono cable 3m $48k.
Digital coax 3m $19k.
Digital optical 2m $5.5k.
USB 3m $19k.
HDMI 5m a mere $700 - though they will flog you a 30m one.
Subwoofer 10m $5.5k.
iPod cable 3m $3.5k - so that's how many times as much as the iPod?
Jumper cables 35cm $10.5k.
Guitar cable, 20ft - $12k.

Madness.

just taking the cost of the mains, interconnect and speaker cable prices combined, in the above list you typed, imagine what kit that could buy ?

you could literally buy a recording studio for that cash...

imagine what kit that could buy ?

Even as someone who has heard/imagined* differences in some cabling, I cannot get my head around the notion** that there's a market for this price level, and that someone would spend more on a cable than on the attached equipment - such as the iPod cable above.

*Delete to suit preference.

**Actually, I can. The principle is called anchoring. Set a stupid price and it will make your 'cheaper' offerings seem less outlandish than would be the case without the anchor. The aim of the silly-priced item is not to sell, it's to encourage sales further down your food chain.

D

Deleted member 188516

Even as someone who has heard/imagined* differences in some cabling, I cannot get my head around the notion** that there's a market for this price level, and that someone would spend more on a cable than on the attached equipment - such as the iPod cable above.

*Delete to suit preference.

**Actually, I can. The principle is called anchoring. Set a stupid price and it will make your 'cheaper' offerings seem less outlandish than would be the case without the anchor. The aim of the silly-priced item is not to sell, it's to encourage sales further down your food chain.

you have hit the nail on the head with the above post. i like the heard / imagined part !
(i'm in the heard camp as you may know).

i also found this :-
(i would love to know the actual manufacturing cost of the cable featured in this video...)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgr4ui5NNaU

Friesiansam

I cannot get my head around the notion** that there's a market for this price level, and that someone would spend more on a cable than on the attached equipment - such as the iPod cable above.
With the numbers for the UK price likely to be about the same as the US price, the most expensive USB cable at 2 meters, will cost about 10 times as much as I paid for my DAC/headphone amp. I paid just under 20 quid for a QED cable, mainly for the gold plated contacts so I don't have to unplug and plug in again from time to time, as is often needed with USB.

Gray

The principle is called anchoring. Set a stupid price and it will make your 'cheaper' offerings seem less outlandish than would be the case without the anchor. The aim of the silly-priced item is not to sell, it's to encourage sales further down your food chain.

Good point.
And how often have we read reviews stating that so-and-so product benefits from the trickle-down effect?
Implying that the cheaper product is much better value than it is......because it gets close to something that very few people would buy (even if they had the money).

D

Deleted member 188516

That's it. A £1k cable is 'obviously' going to be offer much more than 10% of what a £10k cable does, so it's a bargain.

i read on another forum years ago how somebody preferred the much cheaper copper interconnect and speaker cable by a certain cable company to the much pricier all silver interconnect and speaker cable variant they sold.

he explained that the copper cable(s) made his system warmer and simply better/more enjoyable to listen too !

the cable company argued that the silver cable was more revealing and therefore was possibly highlighting faults in his chosen components !

overall i have found that spending more (on the boxes as well as cables) does not always guarantee a better sound...which makes upgrading tricky as regards to avoiding "side ways" steps...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts