Kenwood KA-3020SE/Mission 780SE update ideas?

Neoscan

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone have any suggestions for an update to my 25 year old system? I feel it's time for a change (currently Kenwood KA-3020SE + Mission 780SE + Arcam CD).

I thought the Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers might be worth further investigation- they certainly look great and I've read a lot of good things about them sound wise too. I listen to lots of acoustic folky singer/songwriter type music but also a lot of fuller band stuff too so a fuller range speaker does appeal. Would my amp (2x30 w 8Ω) be okay with these or would I be better looking at upgrading that too?

Also, I'm fairly clueless about steamers, DACs etc but I'm hoping to buy something that will hopefully be reasonably future proof so perhaps is worth considering something that is more digitally ready than my current system..?

Thanks for any advise. I'm sure there are a lot of similar questions on here!

Ps. My room is 5x6.5m approx with fairly high ceiling.

Welcome to the forum.
For a room that size I would be looking at some fairly efficient floorstanders rather than the Lintons. Although they might be sufficient to fill the room I feel they would benefit from a beefier amplifier.
£1200 could buy you a better Floorstander in my opinion.
It might help if you could provide some idea of your budget and if you plan to use any other sources.

Neoscan

Sep 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I was planning on about £1000 for the speakers but could be pushed to £1200 if there was something that would be more suitable to the room. Did you have a particular model of floorstander in mind?

Also, I don't know if I'd need a more powerful amp of just a more modern more efficient one?

Thanks

Hi,
I was planning on about £1000 for the speakers but could be pushed to £1200 if there was something that would be more suitable to the room. Did you have a particular model of floorstander in mind?

Also, I don't know if I'd need a more powerful amp of just a more modern more efficient one?

Thanks
If there's nothing wrong with your current amplifier there is little point in replacing it, you just have to be a bit picky with the speakers you drive it with. I mentioned £1200 only because this is cost of Lintons plus their dedicated stands in many places. You may already own speaker stands although the Lintons are rather large and too big to safely use on standard stands.
Have an audition of the Lintons would be my suggestion but take into account the room size.
Regards floorstanders might I suggest Dali Oberon 5 for starters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts