kef xq30 question

robolowski:I finally fed up with my rs8 speakers and found kef's xq30 in good price on hifix website.

will my amplifier drive them well ?

Hi robolowski

The XQ30's are good speakers and the PM8003 will drive them.

Btw, if you are happy to consider used/discontinued speakers then KEF's excellent Model 1, 2, 1.2 and 2.2 speakers are also worth consideration
emotion-1.gif
The PM8003 will drive these models as long as you're don't require the amp to play at constant disco like levels.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi robolowski

The PM8003 will drive the XQ30's fine. They're a relatively easy load and can be driven by most amps. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the Reference series. Although many of them may seem a relatively high sensitivity, they require plenty of power in order to sound as they've been designed to. While an 80 watt amplifier may drive them (to an extent), it'll be lacking enough guts to get them singing. Unless driven properly, the Model 1 and Model 1.2 lack punch, and sound quite heavy.

It is far better for an amplifier to outclass a speaker than it is for a speaker to outclass an amplifier.

If you want a better balanced system, the XQ30 will be fine. If you're looking at older Reference, you'll need to be looking to change your amplification too in order to get the best from them.

robolowski

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi DavidBeen talking to Kevin on phone today about them.I thing i am gonna go for them.But forgot to ask how would they compare with MA rs8 .Will i gain far more better SQ with kefs?

Can you tell me difference between them two?Perhaps you remember that i have the 'bass' issue at the moment with rs8 so i am hoping that kefs wont be as bad.Am i right here?

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The XQ30's will certainly work better in your situation than the RX series, and certainly any Reference series. The XQ series is a leaner sound, so you won't suffer excess bass problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts