KEF XQ Series

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Are there any plans to review the Kef XQ series of speakers?

or does anyone on the forum have an opinion on them? I'm looking at replacing my front L + R with them.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at xq 30, 40 and central recently and could not find any reviews - would be great if WHF did one! I also found it difficult to find a demo but eventually found that Unilet had both xq30 and xq40 in stock and I eventually had a demo. Unilet guys were good, I can recommend them.

The demo was using Leema Acoustics Cd player and amp (do not remember the models) and was using my music so I know it well. The sound form both xq30 and xq40 was good, 40 obviously had beter bass and 'larger' sound. The mid and highs I found a bit "dry", Sonus Faber e.g. has sweeter and warmer sound to my taste, although it was not a side by side comparison.

the xq range is also very good looking to my taste and build/finish quality is excellent.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're looking at building up a good, long term speaker system, moving to iQ or XQ would make a nice, smooth transition, especially if you like the KEF UniQ sound. They're lean sounding, but still have a decent amount of bass, and have a very clean midrange. They're also pretty good if you need to use them close to a wall.

If you do change the front pair, I'd also look at changing the centre as soon as possibile. The front three speakers are the most important in the system, with the centre being THE most important.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
If you're looking at building up a good, long term speaker system, moving to iQ or XQ would make a nice, smooth transition, especially if you like the KEF UniQ sound. They're lean sounding, but still have a decent amount of bass, and have a very clean midrange. They're also pretty good if you need to use them close to a wall.

If you do change the front pair, I'd also look at changing the centre as soon as possibile. The front three speakers are the most important in the system, with the centre being THE most important.

Thanks Dave,

I was thinking about that. I do want to buy the centre too but would I not be able to get away with continuing to use my 3005SE centre for the short term or would it sound weird?

If I were to replace the front 3 in one go, what other makes/models would you recommend?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hems:Thanks Dave, I was thinking about that. I do want to buy the centre too but would I not be able to get away with continuing to use my 3005SE centre for the short term or would it sound weird? If I were to replace the front 3 in one go, what other makes/models would you recommend?

You could use the 3005 centre initially, but if you find it doesn't keep up with the XQ's, you could try not using a centre at all, and letting the front left and right take care of centre duties until you can get the centre.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hems:AlmaataKZ, Thanks, did you end up getting either of them, if not what did you go for?

Check the thread in the signature for the upgrade blog.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Hems:Thanks Dave, I was thinking about that. I do want to buy the centre too but would I not be able to get away with continuing to use my 3005SE centre for the short term or would it sound weird? If I were to replace the front 3 in one go, what other makes/models would you recommend?

You could use the 3005 centre initially, but if you find it doesn't keep up with the XQ's, you could try not using a centre at all, and letting the front left and right take care of centre duties until you can get the centre.

I didnt know that you could do that.

would you recommend any other speakers?

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
Hems:AlmaataKZ, Thanks, did you end up getting either of them, if not what did you go for?

Check the thread in the signature for the upgrade blog.

Looks good.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You colud save a lot of money and upgrade to the iQ range which would be a big step up from your current KEFs and you would possibly be able to afford a complete speaker package.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hems:I didnt know that you could do that. would you recommend any other speakers?

It depends if you intend to keep any part of your 3005 package - mixing manufacturers isn't recommended as they all have their own sound. If you intend to eventually change the complete package, you could look at Monitor Audio's RX series too.

A

Anonymous

I too am considering upgrading my fronts with new Kefs, moving my Q55.2 fronts to surround duties and Q35 surrounds to rear surrounds. I think my current setup is now struggling at high volumes with my new receiver (Pioneer SC-LX81(when it works).

I don't know if this is the best move, or whether I'll have to replace the whole package.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Hems:I didnt know that you could do that. would you recommend any other speakers?

It depends if you intend to keep any part of your 3005 package - mixing manufacturers isn't recommended as they all have their own sound. If you intend to eventually change the complete package, you could look at Monitor Audio's RX series too.

Thanks.

I don't have a large enough living room so intend to keep the 3005s and move them back to go to a 7.1 configuration. So its only the front 3 speakers I'm looking to replace.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hems:FrankHarveyHiFi:

Thanks. I don't have a large enough living room so intend to keep the 3005s and move them back to go to a 7.1 configuration. So its only the front 3 speakers I'm looking to replace.

Which models in the XQ range were you thinking of?

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:Hems:FrankHarveyHiFi:

Thanks. I don't have a large enough living room so intend to keep the 3005s and move them back to go to a 7.1 configuration. So its only the front 3 speakers I'm looking to replace.

Which models in the XQ range were you thinking of?

The XQ20's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts