KEF X300A review

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
With an optical input I would've been sold, but most people I know do most of their music listening at the computer or with a portable player on the move.

Did I read something somewhere about an Airplay dongle? That has me interested.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
It's good value and sounds great, but with its single USB slave input it's a very niche system. You have to be sure you're happy with only connecting a PC to it and nothing else.

It does have an analogue input.

I wonder if it would work with the USB output of a Pro-Ject USB Phono Box? Probably not and quite a lot of A-D D-A conversions going on there...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I can find plenty of USB to SPIDF converters, but a brief look didn't turn up any SPIDF to USB converters (although they may be out there if one were to spend more than 5 seconds looking)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As things stand I would rather try out the £699 B&W A7. It has far better connectivity (USB, optical, analogue 3.5mm jack and AirPlay), it is also a true active design and uses far less electricity because it's class D.

The B&W also doesn't depend on speaker stands for optimum positioning (nor a signal cable running between seperate units).

I think KEF need to make their next active speakers a lot more flexible with respect to connectivity. Lots of people are going to want their £699 to do a bit more than sit there tethered to a computer with USB ( no matter how well it does it's one trick).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
As things stand I would rather try out the £699 B&W A7. It has far better connectivity (USB, optical, analogue 3.5mm jack and AirPlay), it is also a true active design

Are you implying that the KEF isn't a true active design?

The B&W also doesn't depend on speaker stands for optimum positioning (nor a signal cable running between seperate units).

But won't give you a true stereo image.

I don't think they're really competitors if I'm honest.

I think KEF need to make their next active speakers a lot more flexible with respect to connectivity. Lots of people are going to want their £699 to do a bit more than sit there tethered to a computer with USB ( no matter how well it does it's one trick).

Aye.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
As things stand I would rather try out the £699 B&W A7. It has far better connectivity (USB, optical, analogue 3.5mm jack and AirPlay), it is also a true active design

No.

That's why I used the word 'also'. (Although I admit it could look a bit ambiguous.)

I should have written "...also a true active design like the KEFs."

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

No.

That's why I used the word 'also'. (Although I admit it could look a bit ambiguous.)

Yes, I took it to mean "it has far better connectivity and also has a true active design (unlike the KEFs).

I still don't think they're really competitors though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

But won't give you a true stereo image.

I don't think they're really competitors if I'm honest.

I haven't heard both (a brief and incidental listen to the A7s at a local dealership when I was there for something else recently) but the WHF? review had no complaints regarding stereo...

"In fact, the way it handles the strategically placed left and right effects of the track occasionally fools you into thinking you're listening to a pair of properly separated and toed-in speakers. Be in no doubt, this will fill all but the most humungous of rooms."

Perhaps that's down to the A7's built in DSP.

I rarely listen from a perfectly 'on axis' position anyway. (So, the A7 might be better in this respect for people who don't have their rooms arranged like listening/demo rooms.)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Not forgetting the MM1s that are a considerably cheaper alternative.

Despite the fact that they are both computer speakers, because of the size difference I'm not sure that the markets overlap so much. One strikes me as a true desktop computer speaker while the other is so big that my urge is to but them on stands (even desktop ones) rather than have them directly on a desk or shelf.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Verdict - Balanced, detailed, revealing and expansive; however, they are also flat, lacking punch, and rhythmically/dynamically challenged.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why don't WHF do a group test of speakers suitable for computer based systems. Judging by the reviews the Epoz Maxi will be a better choice than the Kef X300As, however having heard them I would not want them on my desk.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
They did do a group test of sorts recently but neglected to include our POWA-5 product.

But then, WHF only gave it a 4 star review, so.......

Not bitter. :?

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Why don't WHF do a group test of speakers suitable for computer based systems. Judging by the reviews the Epoz Maxi will be a better choice than the Kef X300As, however having heard them I would not want them on my desk.

You've heard both?

The adjectives used in the review almost appear contradictory.

The X300As certainly look the part.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts