Kef T-205 - for music?

quillo

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'm consciously about to ask a question that could be so vague that it could break the internet (!) or get no response ... I'm thinking of getting Kef T-205 for a large room (7.5m L x 6.1m W) with a non-perfect layout for home cinema ... the TV, centre speaker and front left and right speakers will be in a corner of the room, and limited just slightly in terms of space by a sliding door on the long wall, and a fireplace on the other wall. The room is aready wired for rear speakers - 3 potential positions for the 2 rear speakers - essentially in each of the 3 other corners - meaning that the rear speakers will be 2m - 3m from where couches/chairs will be.

I have a Denon X-3100W AV receiver.

I am thinking of the Kef T-205 because my wife does not like large boxes! All of the reviews seem positive - in terms of volume/size of room, clarity of sound, movies, music ... They seem like the absolute best compromise between sound and size/'style' speakers. They will be used for TV and movies (DVD/BluRay/Apple TV) through the AVR, but also for music as, in this room, I'm a fan of having music going while reading/etc ... I wouldn't descibe myself as a complete audiophile but equally do appreciate when played through systems that are true to the tracks and offer enough warmth and depth. Hence my question ...

Has anyone experience of what they sound like for music? I am not pushed that they need to be used with the sub for decent sound (again given layout of the room). I have heard Dali Zensor 1s and Q Acoustics 3010s when I was thinking of the Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 for the room ... I was very surprised at the difference in sound, and at how bright the 3010s sounded for music and how superior (to my ears/taste) the Dalis were. I live in Ireland so not the easiest thing to listen to the speakers first hand, but travel to the UK quite a bit with work too so not impossible!

Thoughts and advice appreciated! Thanks in advance ...

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
quillo said:
Hi all, I'm consciously about to ask a question that could be so vague that it could break the internet (!) or get no response ... I'm thinking of getting Kef T-205 for a large room (7.5m L x 6.1m W) with a non-perfect layout for home cinema ... the TV, centre speaker and front left and right speakers will be in a corner of the room, and limited just slightly in terms of space by a sliding door on the long wall, and a fireplace on the other wall. The room is aready wired for rear speakers - 3 potential positions for the 2 rear speakers - essentially in each of the 3 other corners - meaning that the rear speakers will be 2m - 3m from where couches/chairs will be.

I have a Denon X-3100W AV receiver.

I am thinking of the Kef T-205 because my wife does not like large boxes! All of the reviews seem positive - in terms of volume/size of room, clarity of sound, movies, music ... They seem like the absolute best compromise between sound and size/'style' speakers. They will be used for TV and movies (DVD/BluRay/Apple TV) through the AVR, but also for music as, in this room, I'm a fan of having music going while reading/etc ... I wouldn't descibe myself as a complete audiophile but equally do appreciate when played through systems that are true to the tracks and offer enough warmth and depth. Hence my question ...

Has anyone experience of what they sound like for music? I am not pushed that they need to be used with the sub for decent sound (again given layout of the room). I have heard Dali Zensor 1s and Q Acoustics 3010s when I was thinking of the Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 for the room ... I was very surprised at the difference in sound, and at how bright the 3010s sounded for music and how superior (to my ears/taste) the Dalis were. I live in Ireland so not the easiest thing to listen to the speakers first hand, but travel to the UK quite a bit with work too so not impossible!

Thoughts and advice appreciated! Thanks in advance ...

I really wanted these speakers when they came out a few years ago the are ok for watching movies but music sounded so bad it was un real There was some dali ones which sounded better simular kind of thing The name escapes me in the end I went for MA Apex which sounded a million times better with music.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ian986 said:
I went for MA Apex which sounded a million times better with music.

I second that!
thumbs_up.gif

quillo

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
thanks, both! appreciated ... BUT budget also a factor ... the Apexs signicantly more ... The Dalis mentioned previously are the Dali Fazons I think ... how do they compare to the Kefs/MAs?

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
quillo said:
thanks, both! appreciated ... BUT budget also a factor ... the Apexs signicantly more ... The Dalis mentioned previously are the Dali Fazons I think ... how do they compare to the Kefs/MAs?

Yes it was Dali Fazons They where pretty good to be honest but they are the same money as the apex so went with them! What about the B&W MT60D they are quite small and can be wall mounted if I remember correctly

quillo

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
thanks ... I think if I can find them, I'll go for used MA Apex ... was kind of hoping a few people would have been jumping up and down about the quality of Kef t-series for music, but clearly that's not the case! thanks again ...

quillo

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Ricky - I have looked at them online and just styling doesn't appeal ... very much appreciate input and thoughts, I think I'll try to buy a set of the MA Apex second-hand and we'll see how they go ...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I have MA Apex. They're pretty good for multi-channel, but less successful IMO for stereo sources. When playing music I use Extended Stereo on my AV receiver to engage all surround speakers and subwoofer which makes music better, but for TV stereo, you really need the voices to be coming solely from the front, so that limits you to your L&R Apex A10's and the sub. It's OK but nothing to write home about.

It doesn't worry me because I'm in the process of adding a separate stereo system anyway. My used and almost vintage Ruark Epilogue II's eat the Apexes for breakfast in stereo, but not everyone would want to have an additional system in the same place.

Taking wife acceptance factor into consideration, my previous set-up of Radius R270HD (front L&R) / R250HD centre / R90HD rears and R370HD sub IMO was more snappy, punchy and dynamic in multi-channel and better in stereo than the Apexes. However the Apexes are better at timing with less midrange or bass overhang, and their cabinet design makes them far more sonically room friendly. But I do concede that the R270HD's do visually take up more space, although in terms of floor space they take up slightly less real estate than the A10's on their dedicated stands.

Hope you find some of the above useful.

TRENDING THREADS