KEF speakers

danpianoman

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

Around about 10 years ago I bought some good listening stuff - Marantz cd player, NAD amp and KEF cresta speakers connected with high quality cable. When I moved house there was some damage to the cables and the speakers and a back panel had to be replaced on one. I took the speakers to KEF in Tovill and they came back not working. I took them back and was spoken to like an idiot as a screw needed tightening on the back panel (I'm a concert pianist not an engineer; there is no reason I would know this). I also asked them to fix the clips on the end of the cables for which I was charged just shy of £40, which seems a bit steep to me.

My system is still crackling and cutting out and I wonder if anyone has any advice on how/where I can get this fixed?

I think if you paid that much |'d take them back again and get them to play them there just so you are sure they are sorted.

Can you borrow speakers from anyone to attach to your system to see if they do the same thing? This would at least remove your speakers from the equation.

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Easy to troubleshoot this without the need to take back to kef.

First tighten all connections as said above or try another set of speaker cables, if you dont have other cables u can try, and the issue is only from left speaker, swap your speaker cables over and see if it swaps to the right (or vice versa) if so you have a dodgy speaker cable/badly fitted plug.

If this doesnt work and the issue is again only 1 speaker do the same test with the interconnect beween cd player and amp....swap the red and white or red and black plugs round so that they are plugged in the wrong way round at both ends (ie black in red and red in black)...if it changes channel then u have a bad interconnect..or again try another cable if you have one.

Finally if none of this works check the binding post connections inside the kefs are tight, the nuts have a habit of loosening off over time. To access it you may either need to unscrew the binding post plate, or remove the bass driver...im not sure which cresta u have so if u need more help with this let me know.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts