Kef R400b or PV1D

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Which of the two will be a better sub to pair with the Pioneer SC-LX85?

Also, the PV1D manual says the sub has a trigger option to switch on and put it on standby which even works from the line input but the Kef R400b has no mentiion of trigger inputs or if it automatically goes to standby when it detects no inputs. Can anyone who has used a R400b confirm if it automatically goes to standby when not in use or do they have to switch it off manually everytime?

Will the equaliser in the PV1D make a very big difference or using the calibration from the pioneer av be sufficient to set-up a sub like the R400b

Let me knowmyour thoughts.

Cheers

H

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
EQ aside, the R400b uses larger drivers which will shift more air, which improves efficiency and reduce distortion. Also, the R400b has a larger cabinet volume, so will reach deeper.

The PV1D's advantage, as Cno has stated, is the fact that it has onboard EQ (your Pioneer won't for the sub). Although, for a couple of hundred, an Antimode can be added, which will EQ the R400b, which means they'll both cost about the same.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The EQ in PV1D is not automated and so it is not the easiest to set up.

However the SQ is awesome and it makes integration so easy with almost any speakers. I never had any challenge with integration and I try quite a good number of speakers at home. It does not have volumes of bass but what you get is of the highest quality.

If ever they make PV1D2 with self calibration or the DB1 - it would be really easy to recommend. Even with out the self calibration I do not see a reason why this can not make it to the top list.

However in my set up I have not noticed any major upgrade from PV1 (I had PV1 before) except that it has easier to read volume control. If you can spot an ex-demo PV1 (with full warranty) at a good price and club with Velodyne SMS-1 or antimode (I do not knpow much about this), then I guess you might get much better results at a lower price.

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi you have to ask yourself what YOU want the two subs you speak of play very clean bass but with no considerable output for movies. If you want a sub that plays well for music and movies then the svs sb12 is the one and for the price of 1 pv1d you could buy 2 svs subs. The svs sub will play louder and deeper than the two subs you mention.

A

Anonymous

Velodyne SPL12 (Optimum 12) will be in the same price range and in my opinion better.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
leenorm1 said:
Hi you have to ask yourself what YOU want the two subs you speak of play very clean bass but with no considerable output for movies. If you want a sub that plays well for music and movies then the svs sb12 is the one and for the price of 1 pv1d you could buy 2 svs subs. The svs sub will play louder and deeper than the two subs you mention.

Land pretty soon there will be the SB13 Ultra, which won't be much more than a PV1D.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello hkhiroya,

You’ve not returned to the thread since you started it, so I don’t know if you are still looking for responses?

Anyway the KEF R400B subwoofer is listed here though I have no idea what “At just 31 inches square” in the Product Information section means. I can’t seem to find an actual review of it online though.

You may want to consider two cheaper alternatives, both of which have been favourably reviewed in What Hi-Fi and also in Home Cinema Choice. The cheapest one, at £550, is the Tannoy TS2.12, which has one 12” side-firing driver and also a passive 12” radiator on the opposite side. The claimed frequency response is 21Hz at -6dB, which is a fair bit lower than the Kef’s 26Hz at -6dB. The What Hi-Fi review is here and the Home Cinema Choice review is here.

The other alternative is the £850 Velodyne EQ-Max 12, which does have auto-equalisation lasting only about a couple of minutes! It has a 12” forward-firing driver and a downward-firing port. The What Hi-Fi review is clickety and the Home Cinema Choice review is clickety.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts