kef r series ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
Excitable Boy said:
Clare/Andrew

Are you able to share your plans to review the R Series in WHF ? Thanks

We've requested review pairs and await stock :)
Two months to the review then Clare ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our lead times aren't quite that long! If we get a pair in the next couple of weeks - which i'd expect we should - then they will slot into our January issue, which is posted out to subscribers on 8th December and in shops by 14th December.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Kef Q100 which I had for a while was a real dissapointment.........I hope the R100 is a lot better.

They look nice though :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
1. Bass was very weak and not tight sounding.

2. Midrange can sound harsh at times........not easy on the ears.

3. They get confused with complex music. I listen to a lot of jazz/fusion and the instruments were a mess....each instrument could not be heard individually.

IMO the Dali Zensor 1 and Monitor Audio BX 2 are much, much better. They do not have these kind of problems.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Small bookshelf speakers will always be a compromise. Smaller cabinets and drivers will mean that bass and midrange isn't as effortless as it should be. A speaker the size of the Q100 isn't really the sort of speaker people will be buying for high quality, complex music, unless they're looking at something like ProAc Tablettes. Speakers like BX2's aren't really going to suffer from these issues as they use larger mid/bass drivers.

Used in normal conditions, we haven't found the Q series lacking control in the bass, and again, used within their limits, speakers like the Q100 shouldnt be harsh in the midrange. I suspect the accompanying equipment may possibly have played a part in this.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
But the Dali Zensor 1 doesn't have all these problems.........and they are smaller than the Q100. The Zensor doesn't get harsh on my system........they sound far more musical.

But this is all my opinion of course.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
FATS 2828 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The R300's and R500's will be available as of next Tuesday.
:wave: Has christmas day come early david ?

R300, R500, R700, and R900 in so far, but only R300 and R500 on demo at the moment due to awaiting certain colours or customer orders....

:bounce: Well come on Dave you,ve them on demo for LESS than 24 HRS. Whats the hold up are they up to scratch ?

Thoughts please . :rofl:

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I have an 8200CD and Brio R warming up in the demo room as we speak.... :)

I'll be comparing the SCM11 and R300 :O

Ooooooooooooh ! Very interesting. World war three is imminent. :grin:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll certainly be interesting - old school two-way against an up to date technology based three-way. I suspect both will have their strong points, and it'll be down to the individual as to where their priorities lie.

A

Anonymous

Cypher, i am sorry you didnt get on with the kef's, i love mine, the bass is tight and rapid, the Q100'S to my ear' dont seem to struggle with complex music, everything unravels fine with plenty of detail, everyone has there own taste!

A

Anonymous

Also suprised to hear Cypher comment about the Q100s. Must be a serious system missmatch. Or completly different audio preferences to me :)

My Q100s sound great in my second smaller system. Great tight punchy bass and smooth and refined sound with Marantz PM5004 amp, Mararantz CD5004 and Rega RP3 / TTPSU / Exact system. The Q100s sound miles better then my previous Dali Concept 2. I sold them after only 6 months when i tried the Q100s in my system.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I have an 8200CD and Brio R warming up in the demo room as we speak.... :)

I'll be comparing the SCM11 and R300 :O

:bounce: Any thing to report David?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Nothing as yet FATS, been a tad busy - early stages of a possible new brand. More on that early next year though, if it comes to frewission.

Yes, I wanted to spell it like that :grin:

A

Anonymous

Just one little snippet of information if you can dave, are the r,s any more forgiving on poor recodings ? :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well I'm currently listening to 128kbps Napster, like I was on Thursday when setting up, which sounds great for electronic stuff - detail in the bass is amazing - but put on the likes of real instruments and cymbals and electric guitars get a little 'splashy' and compression can be heard. Despite that, they're sounding fine with the Foo fighters' Wasting Light album. As I've said, they seemed to have retained a lot of what the Blades are about in the R series, mainly the tonal balance, and their ability to just sound great with whatever you put on them.

If you have anything specific you'd like me to try FATS, let me know, and if I've got it, I'll try it :)

Hopefully I'll have enough time soon to start ripping all my CD's to NAS drives, but that might take a while! Would be a good idea as I could then take it to work with me to use for demo purposes. But to get started, I need to bring the half of my CD collection that's sitting at work!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Well I'm currently listening to 128kbps Napster, like I was on Thursday when setting up, which sounds great for electronic stuff - detail in the bass is amazing - but put on the likes of real instruments and cymbals and electric guitars get a little 'splashy' and compression can be heard. Despite that, they're sounding fine with the Foo fighters' Wasting Light album. As I've said, they seemed to have retained a lot of what the Blades are about in the R series, mainly the tonal balance, and their ability to just sound great with whatever you put on them.

If you have anything specific you'd like me to try FATS, let me know, and if I've got it, I'll try it :)

Hopefully I'll have enough time soon to start ripping all my CD's to NAS drives, but that might take a while! Would be a good idea as I could then take it to work with me to use for demo purposes. But to get started, I need to bring the half of my CD collection that's sitting at work!
Sorry dave i ment compared to the atc,s ? Ooooh this is like getting a request played by the D.J. Mmmm.......

Poor recording.....David grey,s white ladder

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts