KEF Q700 vs B&W 683 vs Monitor Audio RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thinking about a 5.1 speaker set-up for home cinema; to pair with Pioneer VSX-2020-K AV receiver which I already have.

Which would you choose:

- KEF Q700: beautiful, but some reviews here are sceptical about quality; WhatHIFI gave them 3/5

- B&W 683: not as nice looking, but supposedly better sound?

- Monitor Audio RX6: also beautiful; based on reviews possibly best sound of the three?

...Also one question: some reviews mention for instance that some speakers are not as strong in low frequencies - bass. But these are revies based on test of the front speakers only in a stereo setting. If you add the sub in a 5.1 system, this probably compensates fully with regard to performace in bass?

Thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Subwoofers tend to deal with frequencies below 80Hz (give or take), but the speakers themselves still have to deal with the rest of the frequency range down to that point. Yes, the sbwoofer makes these frequncies redundant as far as the speaker's performance is concerned, but above this, if a speaker lacks bass, it will still show. Reviews are opinions - reviewers have theirs, you have yours - what you like might not be what reviewers rate. If a product sounds good to you, that's all that matters. As far as those three models go, they're all excellent, and have been the subject of many comparisons in store. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. The RX6's are by far the best built of the three, and the only speaker of the three with a real wood veneer. The RX6 and 684 are both very strong as far as bass is concerned, but do need a bit of space as they're both front and rear ported, an need an amplifier with better than average bass control. The KEF's aren't as strong as the other two for bass, but make up for it in their midrange and treble because of their UniQ driver array, which also helps imaging, which is the best of the three. Not only is your tonal preference going to make the choice, but so will your room and amplifier. If you need them close to the wall, the KEF's will fair better - if you like drum and bass, you're more likely to go for the MA's or B&W's. What amplifier/AV receiver are you going to use with them?

snowman123 said:
Thinking about a 5.1 speaker set-up for home cinema; to pair with Pioneer VSX-2020-K AV receiver which I already have.

Which would you choose:

- KEF Q700: beautiful, but some reviews here are sceptical about quality; WhatHIFI gave them 3/5

- B&W 683: not as nice looking, but supposedly better sound?

- Monitor Audio RX6: also beautiful; based on reviews possibly best sound of the three?

...Also one question: some reviews mention for instance that some speakers are not as strong in low frequencies - bass. But these are revies based on test of the front speakers only in a stereo setting. If you add the sub in a 5.1 system, this probably compensates fully with regard to performace in bass?

Thanks!

Hi snowman123

I hope you will not mind but just to get a clearer picture of your circumstances/requirements -

In addition to your Pioneer VSX-2020-K AV receiver what other main components do you use (Blu-ray player, PS3, Sky etc.)?

What speakers do you currently use?

Are you looking for just a pair of speakers such as the Silver RX6's or a complete 5.1 set such as the Silver RX6 AV12?

If it is a 5.1 system you're after then the positioning of the centre and rear speakers will be (tv stand, shelf or wall mounted)?

Positioning of the main front speakers and sub woofer (in relation to walls, room corners etc.)?

Will the system also be used for listening to music? If so, what do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Room shape?

Room walls (brick, concrete etc.)?

Room floor (wooden, concrete, carpeted etc.)?

Will the speakers be used down the length or across the room?

Is your room lightly or heavily furnished?

Distance between the speakers?

Your listening distance each speaker?

Is anything likely to be in the way of the speakers?

Your general listening level?

The speaker cables which you'll be using?

Will you use the auto set up facility (MCACC) on the amp?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

David and Rick, thanks for your comments / suggestions. To quickly address questions raised:

- AV receiver is Pioneer VSX-2020-K, a top-quality Pioneer just recently released; price range 1000 EUR, so I think it should suffice; do not intend replacing it at this stage.

- For playing media I currently use mainly apple TV, popcorn hour, iPod, mac mini and a relatively cheap Pioneer CD/DVD player for my CD collection. These will need a proper upgrade at some stage, but for now they should do the job.

- Intended use of speakers: 60-70% movies, 30-40% music (mainly classic, jazz, little rock)

- I intend to have a full 5.1 set-up, not just stereos; and I would buy the whole 5.1 set of the same line of speakers such as:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rx6-av/your-speaker

http://www.kef.com/en/loudspeakers/qseries2010/htm

- size of the room is 55m2 (so roughly 600 square feet)

- no pets ;) ...so speakers should look good as well ;)

Thanks again for your help! :)

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts