KEF Q700 or MA RX 6; which best for metal and rock?

A

Anonymous

I've never heard the Kefs, but the MAs don't have smooth highs.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I hope the Kef. MA not. UniQ from KEF in the past was bright. By the new models this seems better. I heard by a dealer the KEF Q500 and was surprise. Much better than i expected. But as in the past too little bass. That's way i'm looking at the Q700.

I've heard the B&W 684 and was never too harsh, but so dull and muddy. I don't like it.

A

Anonymous

Are standmounts out of the question? I ask as I think Dynaudio DM 2/7s may be worth a listen, they do have smooth highs, and plenty of bass, I personally felt they were much better than the RX6s I had before, and they're easy enough to drive too, and to place.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Guess it would depend on what other equipment is being used, but after hearing the KEF Q500, MA RX6 and KEF Q700, the Q700's sounded the best to my ears. (Using Marantz CD6003/Denon AVR 1912, due to have the AVR 2310 at the time.)

They also had more bass than the Q500's, but as my room is small I felt the Q700's bass may have been too overpowering, so happily opted for the Q500's at the time.

Since then, I have paired them with the Marantz PM6004 and they are superb, IMO.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
My cdp is a Marantz cd 6004. I also need a new amp but will but these in combination with the speakers. I like Marantz. I've heard the pearl lite and found it very good.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a fan of NAD. I like more the (warmer) Marantz sound. I also looked at the Tannoy Revolution Dc6t but no dealer in my city. Think also that the tweeter from Tannoy too edgy and sharp is for Metal and rock.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
When the Q series were launched at the Manchester Show last year, KEF used Marantz amplification to show them off.

To me, that suggests that the 'powers that be' at KEF must think there is some good synergy between the two, as they wouldn't want to use an amp that would make their speakers sound poor!

They used the PM6003 to demo the Q300, and the Marantz Pearl lite to demo the Q700's......

My conclusion....I'd demo the pair and see for yourself. IMO, that combo (Pearl lite/Q700) in the Manchester Show demo show (hotel function room) sounded extremely good indeed!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts