KEF Q500s

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
yep, we're working our way through KEF's new Q range - either the 500s or 700s (can't remember which first) are reviewed as a stereo pair in our next issue (out 10th February), with the others, including an AV package, to follow

We've also got a first test of KEF's T Series 5.1 speakers in our next issue.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Lots of KEFs!! - Have the guys from B&W managed to send you some CM8s for review yet? Bit late for me now, have waited three issues since first launched, but might help others.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

yep, we're working our way through KEF's new Q range - either the 500s or 700s (can't remember which first) are reviewed as a stereo pair in our next issue (out 10th February), with the others, including an AV package, to follow

How exciting!!!! Hope they do well.....especially the Q500's....
emotion-4.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Fantastic news! Can't wait.
emotion-2.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt:Lots of KEFs!! - Have the guys from B&W managed to send you some CM8s for review yet? Bit late for me now, have waited three issues since first launched, but might help others.

Dandy, how are your new B&W CM8's as I am saving up for new speakers and the CM range is on my shortlist, but can't find no reviews for them as I love the look of the matching CM centre 2 speaker.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The CM8s are absolutely superb. I've got them matched with a CM Centre (Rosenut finish - extremely classy). Combined with the Pioneer LX53, I get an excellent sound. My wife even prefers them without the grilles on!!!

Certainly powerful and bassy. They also look extremely refined, and fairly slim cabinets too.

The CM Centre 2 was too big for my needs, and pairs with the CM9s.

I've since bought three CM1s (with permission from OH) to cover the surrounds (I've got two sides and one rear - so 6.1 with B&Ws plus two front heights that are small Bostons). Tempted now to get the B&W PV1 subwoofer to complete the set, but will try an Auralex Subdude platform first to see what that does for my existing Kef s/w.

Any news from the mag Claire about whether the CM8s are ever going to be reviewed?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt:
Any news from the mag Claire about whether the CM8s are ever going to be reviewed?

We most certainly hope so - just haven't had a review pair from B&W yet. Will continue to pursue...

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
cinemafan:Pistol Pete1, how are your Q500s performing? Worth the expense would you say?

In a small room like mine (14' x 12'), they are ideal and seem to sound better and better......nearing the end of running in period, I reckon....

When I demo'd the Q series, I'll be honest and mention that the Q700's did sound a lot better than the Q500's in the bass department. In my room, this seem's to be no problem, as I'm getting plenty of bass from the Q500's at 16" from back wall (metal stud wall). The Q700's may have been too much in the end......

Initially I was expecting to use the sub with the Q500's for 2 channel, but it was not needed.......

If your budget is £700 (although I got mine cheaper), they are defo a worthwhile addition to the audition list.

I'd add the MA RX6's and B&W 684's to that list too, as it'll depend on how you like your music....(B&W...big, bold and bassy. MA....deep bass, strong treble. KEF.....detail and strong vocals.)

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt:

The CM8s are absolutely superb. I've got them matched with a CM Centre (Rosenut finish - extremely classy). Combined with the Pioneer LX53, I get an excellent sound. My wife even prefers them without the grilles on!!!

Certainly powerful and bassy. They also look extremely refined, and fairly slim cabinets too.

The CM Centre 2 was too big for my needs, and pairs with the CM9s.

I've since bought three CM1s (with permission from OH) to cover the surrounds (I've got two sides and one rear - so 6.1 with B&Ws plus two front heights that are small Bostons). Tempted now to get the B&W PV1 subwoofer to complete the set, but will try an Auralex Subdude platform first to see what that does for my existing Kef s/w.

Thanks a lot!
emotion-21.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

I'd add the MA RX6's and B&W 684's to that list too, as it'll depend on how you like your music....(B&W...big, bold and bassy. MA....deep bass, strong treble. KEF.....detail and strong vocals.)

Pete, which would you say out of the MA, B&W, and kef speakers as the sweetest treble and deepest bass and are not upfront?

On your demo day did you by any chance listen to the B&W 683 as I am considering them as well, as I need some speakers that work good around 20 inches from the back wall and have a good bass output.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Pete!

Yes, I read your demo day and been following the KEF users thread on the new Q's on another forum, and I think you was on there too.

Just want to decide on a set of speakers and stick to it as I need to do a lot of saving first so by then all the speakers will be reviewed.

Thanks for that, IV been thinking the Q700 would be the ticket so that's on top of my list now! Could you tell me one last thing, your centre speaker, does the UniQ driver output bass as well as the other bass unit, as I know it as an ABR but unsure if the other two output bass frequency together as it is stated that they are a 3-way design.

Thanks again!
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
If you get the Q700's, it is suggested that the Q600C would be the ideal match....as they all have the same sized driver's....

If not, the Q200c will be fine....(also heard that the Q600C isn't that much of an improvement over the Q200c!!!)

As you look at the Q200, you can see three drivers. The middle driver has the UniQ in the middle of it, and the outer is a midrange speaker. To the left is a working bass driver, and the one on the right is an ABR....(cone but not driven)........

How do I know this....there is much more weight on the left side than the right....
emotion-4.gif

Hope that helps....

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:DandyCobalt:

We most certainly hope so - just haven't had a review pair from B&W yet. Will continue to pursue...

Happy to lend you my pair of CM8s for a day if you like, Claire. Shame for the CM8s to miss out on a head-to-head :)
(They will have been nicely run-in too).

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Clare Newsome:

How exciting!!!! Hope they do well.....especially the Q500's....
emotion-4.gif

I wonder why Pete?
emotion-4.gif

How are they sounding now? Their selling the Q500s in my local, now for £600!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
emotion-4.gif

They sound really good now......I've adjusted their position to help with bass extention, which is spot on in my room now......

I'm well pleased with the whole system, which is about run in now.......the detail is so much better than my old QA speakers....

£600 is good, but I paid less......
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts