Kef Q500 review?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Do the good people at whathifi have any plans to review the kef q500's, it seems unusual that this very much talked about speaker has yet to recieve a review by the experts, is there any reason why this is?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After 'Q700gate', would you expect a manufacturer to send another speaker from that range??? :O

Although I can confirm that both the Q700 and Q500's are excellent speakers..... :clap:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare....long time no see!!! How's the new job?

Without opening up old wounds, the Q300 is very different to the Q700's, and ultimately the Q500's......

They don't have the extra bass cone, and two ABR's, which could be the cause of the 'muddled bass' reported on the WHF review.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Oh.....and I think you reviewed the Q300's BEFORE the Q700's..... :?

Perhaps since the review of the Q700's, they don't fancy sending anymore?? :doh:

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Excitable Boy said:
chebby said:
I remember 'Q700gate'.

So do I - dark days indeed !!

Pistol Pete1 said:
After 'Q700gate', would you expect a manufacturer to send another speaker from that range???

Pistol Pete1 said:
Without opening up old wounds, the Q300 is very different to the Q700's, and ultimately the Q500's......

What's with all the '-gate' and 'old wounds' stuff?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Excitable Boy said:
chebby said:
I remember 'Q700gate'.

So do I - dark days indeed !!

Pistol Pete1 said:
After 'Q700gate', would you expect a manufacturer to send another speaker from that range???

Pistol Pete1 said:

What's with all the '-gate' and 'old wounds' stuff?

Guess it's how some people feel about this topic, Andrew.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
Guess it's how some people feel about this topic, Andrew.....

Seems so. Bizarre, really...

Pistol Pete1 said:
Not sure what that's referring to??? :doh:

The fact that the mythical gate was closed a long time ago, perhaps?

Not sure it's that bizarre Andrew,

I think that after many potential buyers have demo'd the Q700's, they just didn't get the fact that your review suggested these speakers suffered from 'muddled bass'.

I, for one, have heard these speakers and felt the bass department was strong and defined, without any suggestion of being muddled.

But I guess that why we have forums....to discuss topics, and if needs be agree to disagree.....assuming both parties have actually heard the product in question.

Anyway, going back to the OP......are KEF offering the Q500's for a review? Have they been asked to supply a pair?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Not sure it's that bizarre Andrew, I think that after many potential buyers have demo'd the Q700's, they just didn't get the fact that your review suggested these speakers suffered from 'muddled bass'.

Yes, but that's a difference of opinion – not 'Q700gate', whatever that overdramatic epithet means.

Pistol Pete1 said:
Anyway, going back to the OP......are KEF offering the Q500's for a review? Have they been asked to supply a pair?

As with any range, we request all the models available as we need them for testing, and then slot them into the magazine as appropriate. Manufacturers will, of course, decide whether or not to supply products to specific publications as suits their marketing plans, but I think Clare has already made clear that we have reviewed several models from KEF since the Q700, and I was making the point that KEF continues to advertise its Q series through this site.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
Not sure it's that bizarre Andrew, I think that after many potential buyers have demo'd the Q700's, they just didn't get the fact that your review suggested these speakers suffered from 'muddled bass'.

Yes, but that's a difference of opinion – not 'Q700gate', whatever that means.

Pistol Pete1 said:

As with any range, we request all the models available as we need them for testing, and then slot them into the magazine as appropriate.

Well I didn't 'coin' the phrase 'Q700gate', so I guess you'll have to ask the person that did if you don't understand what it means....

So you requested all the models......and the response was???? :?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
So you requested all the models......and the response was???? :?

Self-evident from the subject of this thread, I guess.

Shame really.......

I see another home cinema magazine recently reviewed the Q700 5.1 set up, and raved about the set up, quoting the use of ABR's in the front three speakers as:

'All this tech translates to drivers that drop lower than a snake's belly with aplomb and control - very hi-fi.'

Interestingly KEF seemed happy to supply most of the range to them too:

'First, the inventory was a pair of the Q700 towers, two pairs of Q500 towers, a big Q600c centre, two pairs of Q800ds dipoles and a set of Q300 bookshelfers to go with the Q400b subwoofer.'

The reviewer then decided to create the set up with the Q700, Q600c, Q300, although tried the Q800ds too, and the Q400b sub).

Needless to say it got their 'Best Buy' award..... :cheers:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
If the OP is still interested in this design of speakers, he/she may find an alternative review of the Q700's (Not Q500's, i know, but they are very similar in design) in a certain hifi magazine at his/her local newsagents this month.... ;)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
If the OP is still interested in this design of speakers, he/she may find an alternative review of the Q700's (Not Q500's, i know, but they are very similar in design) in a certain hifi magazine at his/her local newsagents this month.... ;)

Yes I spotted that on the social networking website that dare not speak its name, haven't bothered reading the review though, that mag bores me to tears...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts