Kef Q300

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No, I meant that the BX2's would work better against the wall than the RX's would
emotion-1.gif

The BX2's wouldn't compete with the Q100's as far as quality is concerned.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:No, I meant that the BX2's would work better against the wall than the RX's would
emotion-1.gif
The BX2's wouldn't compete with the Q100's as far as quality is concerned.

In your opinion, the MA RX2 or the KEF Q300, is the better overall speakers (ignoring any price comparison)?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
IIRC, there's a Group Test including those two very pairs of speakers (plus others, including the B&W 685) in our next issue, out 10th Jan....

EDIT - just found the Group Test line-up; in alphabetical order:

B&W 685

Castle Knight 2

KEF Q300

Monitor Audio Silver RX1

It is a HUMDINGER of a test
emotion-2.gif

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

IIRC, there's a Group Test including those two very pairs of speakers (plus others, including the B&W 685) in our next issue, out 10th Jan....

B&W 685

Castle Knight 2

KEF Q300

Monitor Audio Silver RX1

emotion-2.gif

Guess I should hold my purchase of a new speakers for the time being then?
emotion-2.gif

Any change of the RX2 review, Clare?

manicm

Clare Newsome:

B&W 685

Castle Knight 2

KEF Q300

Monitor Audio Silver RX1

emotion-2.gif

Isn't the RX1 at a disadvantage in this company? Shouldn't the RX2 be here instead?

Also, would you be reviewing the Q100 anytime?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All speakers in Group Test chosen on close price-point spread - £380 to £450 (Monitor Audio Silver RX1 is £400 and a strong five star speaker at that price)

So, basically, if you've got @£400 to spend on a standmount speaker, this test aims to reveal which we think is the best of those four.

And yes, we're aiming to get more of the KEFs in very soon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wot? No Rega RS1s?

(And you had a pair in for the Rega system 'One make hifi' test in the current issue.)

They are better sounding (by a country mile) than at least one pair on your list Clare.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

B&W 685

Castle Knight 2

KEF Q300

Monitor Audio Silver RX1

emotion-2.gif

Roll on January's magazine.....what a group test!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

I've had a pair of iq10s for about 18 months and love them but just checked KEF's site to see what was new and stumbled upon the new line. The aesthetics are less preferable than the iq series but I'd really like to hear them. I entered the contest on the front page for the q300s. That would make my day.

I'm using a Denon AVR-789 to power the two iq10s and have an old 1980's set of C10s that I use for a center channel. Well, I'm using only one of course, but hey. The tweeter blew out in one of the C10s so it's just being used as a stand for my monitor.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
In Canada, the Totem Rainmakers is around the same price range as the Kef Q300s, yet I feel the Rainmakers are in a total different league. I own a pair of Kef iQ30 which are part of HT setup which also includes the rest of the iQ range from iQ60C to iQ90s. I haven't heard the Q300s, but the iQ30 is too laid-back for my tastes, voices sound muffled, and dynamic range is limited. They are good for HT but not for music/hifi. The Rainmakers are far superior speakers that make voices sound natural and engaging and the soundstage is incredible. I also prefer the curved cabinets of the iQ series over the boxy cabinets of the new Q series. I guess Kef tried to lower production costs by making square cabinets over curved cabinets as they are cheaper and easier to manufacture.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
csq2:I haven't heard the Q300s, but the iQ30 is too laid-back for my tastes, voices sound muffled, and dynamic range is limited.

By all accounts you can't judge anything about the Q series by listening to the old iQs, they're a completely different speaker.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Would the combo Kef Q300 and Marantz PM6003 be a nice choice even if some power is concerned and will it make lows without needing a subwoofer? Best regards Jesper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts