Kef Q300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

FrankHarveyHiFi:But the sound, the sound....
emotion-1.gif

Yes, Chebby, JD and all these people - they're like women without the common sense! :)

The looks are fine, but the finish - well how bad can it be? Must say, regardless of the sound - the 658s are superbly built - perfect in every way.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
manicm:Yes, Chebby, JD and all these people - they're like women without the common sense! :)

So comparing people to women still counts as a witty insult where you live?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
manicm:Yes, Chebby, JD and all these people - they're like women without the common sense! :)

Witty? It's positively Wildean where I live...

manicm

chebby:

No, just sometimes unreasonably obsessed with aesthetics. Of which I am guilty too.

T

the record spot

I wonder, on the basis of recent posts in several parts of the forum, which observation on the abilities of the IQ10 is the more accurate; ear's or matthewpiano's? Just a thought for all you who seem to think hearing a component is the be all and end all of the discussion.

And to the two gents who posted their thoughts, thanks - by extension, you've helped illustrate my points (also elsewhere) for me perfectly.

manicm

the record spot:I wonder, on the basis of recent posts in several parts of the forum, which observation on the abilities of the IQ10 is the more accurate; ear's or matthewpiano's? Just a thought for all you who seem to think hearing a component is the be all and end all of the discussion.

And to the two gents who posted their thoughts, thanks - by extension, you've helped illustrate my points (also elsewhere) for me perfectly.

I see where you're getting at :)

That said my cousin's using the iQ10s to great effect on his old hifi. He wasn't very chuffed with them until I pointed out to him that, especially since it's tiny and front-ported, he needed to remove the port bungs. He then smiled at what he heard.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

emotion-1.gif

Plenty of excellent sounding speakers at around this price. Why go for uggerly ones?

I dont want to spoil things for you but the MS20iP's are not the most attractive speakers either ...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm:The looks are fine, but the finish - well how bad can it be? Must say, regardless of the sound - the 658s are superbly built - perfect in every way.
I wouldn't say there's much between the B&W600 series and KEF Q series as far as build quality is concerned. If less than perfect build quality mattered, Rega's speakers wouldn't sound too good....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
emotion-1.gif

Plenty of excellent sounding speakers at around this price. Why go for uggerly ones?

What else can compete at £450? To my mind, Rega RS1's. Anything else?

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Although i've not heard them myself , the Castle Knight 2's (£400) seem to be ticking a lot of people's boxes at the mo, especially after the Manchester show. And the build quality seems to be exemplary..........

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:chebby:
emotion-1.gif

What else can compete at £450? To my mind, Rega RS1's. Anything else?rx1's..rx2's??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I only heard the Castles briefly - not long enough to form a reliable opinion - no doubt we'll have them in at some point and I can compare them properly.

The RX2's are more expensive, and stdicking to less than £500, only the RX1's can be considered. But from comparisons I've made, they don't quite match up to the Q300's. The nearest comparison as far as I'm concerned is another £150, but the KEF's have the advantage as they're much easier to drive and match up with different amplifiers.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
zappa 100:Although i've not heard them myself , the Castle Knight 2's (£400) seem to be ticking a lot of people's boxes at the mo, especially after the Manchester show. And the build quality seems to be exemplary..........

To my ears they were extremely good speakers at the show.......if I wanted stand mounted speakers, I'd purchase them over everything else I have heard recently......

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:I only heard the Castles briefly - not long enough to form a reliable opinion - no doubt we'll have them in at some point and I can compare them properly.

The RX2's are more expensive, and stdicking to less than £500, only the RX1's can be considered. But from comparisons I've made, they don't quite match up to the Q300's. The nearest comparison as far as I'm concerned is another £150, but the KEF's have the advantage as they're much easier to drive and match up with different amplifiers.

How would you compare RX1 to Q300ïs ?

I think RX1 are great speakers, however they canït be placed near the back wall... because bass can be excessive...

They have just a little to much bass for my taste...
emotion-1.gif

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
According to hifi choice, the Knight 2s have mesh in the rear port to limit output but can they be used near a wall?
On one side of my room ,i only have about 20cms to play with(where angle of bay window meets alcove) and the Knights like a lot of speakers these days are quite deep to begin with.
Maybe the Knight 3s that output bass at bottom of cabinet would be better or the kef q500s with their ABR s and infinite baffle cabinets?
Looks wise i prefer the traditional style of the Castles over the Kefs but it's the sound thats most important, trying to get clarity AND deep solid bass.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Melosoares:How would you compare RX1 to Q300ïs?I think RX1 are great speakers, however they canït be placed near the back wall... because bass can be excessive...They have just a little to much bass for my taste...
emotion-1.gif

Monitor Audio took the route of making a smoother sounding speaker when they replaced the old RS series, and it has definitely worked in their favour. They're much more laid back now, and because of that, they suit far more amplifiers than before. It's a great speaker, and should definitely be on Antibes shortlist when looking to buy new speakers. The drawback of making a smoother speaker, is that the bass is more noticeable due to the change in the speaker's tonal balance. Rear ported speakers need plenty if space to work properly (with one or two exceptions), and if they're placed to close to a wall, their tonal balance is shifted more towards the bass. Foam bungs are supplied to counteract this, but it changes a speaker's balance too much, and usually robs them of any life.

Even though the Q300's are a front ported speaker, they will still like a bit of space to work well, maybe not as much as the RX1's, but still a little bit. How much is going to vary depending on the room, as it would do with the RX1's. The KEF's, to my ears, produce a more open and detailed sound, and are capable of a more three dimensional soundstage.

But, in your situation, I'd look at a few alternatives, as it sounds like you need something that will work well quite close to a wall. You could try the Q100's, which will have less bass, or Rega's RS1's. They might be a little bit more, but depending on the amplifier you're using, you could also look at the sealed cabinet ATC SCM7's. These work extremely well against a wall.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that, maybe I need something that workïs well close to a wall. My amp is a NAD c315 and RX1 speakers...and I do think theyïre great speakers, but the bass sometimes (some recordings) is excessive...

Maybe I shoulkd try the Q100ïs.

Have you already tried the new BX2 ?

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The Q100ïs seem to be a valid option for me...
emotion-1.gif
I will try to listening to them when available in my country...(Portugal)

Theyïre smaller than Q300ïs, and seem to be of good quality... maybe not like RX1, but can be placed near the wall...

and, I do like KEF speakers (also have KEF 2005.2)

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:FrankHarveyHiFi:Oh, you mean the cabinet. All manufacturers will give wood colour options. I thought you meant the finish on the front of the speaker itself
emotion-1.gif
oh i dont know david, i just dont like the look of them, they're too 70's,for me, and i feel the design will split opinions, with more disliking them than liking imo. a risky strategy in todays style conscious world
emotion-15.gif

Trust me; in the right room (ie, modern contemporary) these would fit in just beautifully!
emotion-11.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts