Kef Q300

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We had a pair delivered yesterday by the good people of KEF. Should feature in the January 2011 issue (on sale some time mid-December, not exactly sure when as I'm not in the office today).

A

Anonymous

How would you compare the new Q300 to iQ30 ?

is it still worth buying KEFïs iQ30 ?

Thanks,

JoÆo

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose it depends how much you can get the iQ30's for. Theyu're quite a different sound, so some people might prefer them. But as far as the comparison is concerned, no contest
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

What do you mean by "different sound" ?

What are the big diferences between both speakers ?

Thanks,

JoÆo

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have now seen the Q100 and Q300 speakers. (Last Tuesday in my local Audio-T)

I was not at all tempted to hear either. The Q300s are unrelentingly ugly. (The Q100s only slightly less so because there is slightly less of them!)

I don't mind so much that they are a box. That is inescapable. But the finishes look nasty and dark. The grain is unconvincing. Real wood 'veneer' but made of particles of wood in some process that emulates grain. I have seen more convincing grain on vinyl wrapped speakers.

Thinks get worse when the covers come off. Just looks like a big, grim box with unconvincing grain and a lemon squeezer glued to the front.

For £449 the Q300s are competing with speakers like the Monitor Audio RX2s. Regardless of their relative sounds, the RX2s are not just streets ahead - in looks and finish - but are in a whole different universe. Even with the grilles on.

I also saw the new Castle Knight range. They have a whole Castle tradition thing going on with their 'house' look of course, but they are still very nice looking in their own way. (And impeccably finished with real wood that looks and feels like real wood.)

KEF would be best advised to ask stockists to keep their Q300s in a seperate room or well away from other manufacturer's speakers so people don't get the chance to directly compare them together before hearing them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

I have now seen the Q100 and Q300 speakers. (Last Tuesday in my local Audio-T)

I was not at all tempted to hear either. The Q300s are unrelentingly ugly. (The Q100s only slightly less so because there is slightly less of them!)

That was my impression from online pictures, I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet unfortunately.

Like you (I assume) looks do matter to an extend but in the end, sound is of overriding importance. Agree though, despite one of the dealers on here stating the opposite, they don't look to good but then what can you do? Something has to give at this price and the Driver itself is (almost) a work of art.

I also think that any standmount needs a ... stand ... with a larger base footprint than the speaker to balance what otherwise looks very ungainly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Melosoares:
What do you mean by "different sound" ?

What are the big diferences between both speakers ?

Thanks,

JoÆo

The iQ series was quite lean sounding. Bass took a back seat in relation to the midrange and treble. This would give a very revealing presentation of what's going on in the mix. Great for close placement to room boundaries too. What has made them stand out from everyone else has also been their downfall. The leaner sound isn't to everyone's liking, and it's only been those that appreciate what they're about who've had positive things to say.

The new Q's are a completely different kettle of fish. Warmer and sweeter than previous Q/iQ's, they're more like everyone elses speakers, but a much improved design and UniQ array creates that gap once again. They're just so three dimensional as far as their soundstage is concerned, very few can compete at this level. I can pick out little things, but it's the whole listening experience that tells the whole story. As always, impressions are personal, and some people may not like them, but the new Q's are going to bring more people to the KEF brand than the iQ's ever did.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
A direct comparison between the Q100 and Q300 would be great.The IQ10 was less bright than the IQ30, but the IQ10 sounded less organized in sound.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Usually, when manufacturers produce two standmounts in a range, they're quite closely related. You'll usually get a bit more bass, and fill a larger room. I won't go as far to say that the Q100 and Q300 are totally different, but it's surprising how different they are. Some may even prefer the Q100, but again, that's personal preference.

matthewpiano

ear:A direct comparison between the Q100 and Q300 would be great.The IQ10 was less bright than the IQ30, but the IQ10 sounded less organized in sound.

Sorry ear but the iQ10 is SUPERB at organising the soundstage. It just needs the right amp behind it. With the Arcam there are absolutely NO issues with this side of things and the iQ10s organise the sound better than anything else I've heard below £500.

A

Anonymous

i agree with chebby, ive not seen em in the flesh, but judging by the pics ive seen those new kefs are seriously droll looking, i cant understand the thinking behind that 70's retro look, and brown
emotion-3.gif
.. whoever signed of that design wont get a promotion anytime soon imo..

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Brown?

It's the aluminium strip on the front that looks a little retro
emotion-1.gif

well i have to admit i am colourblind
emotion-1.gif
.. but these things look brown to me..

23394.jpg

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Oh, you mean the cabinet. All manufacturers will give wood colour options. I thought you meant the finish on the front of the speaker itself
emotion-1.gif
oh i dont know david, i just dont like the look of them, they're too 70's,for me, and i feel the design will split opinions, with more disliking them than liking imo. a risky strategy in todays style conscious world
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts