KEF LS50 vs Mission SX 2 (FIGHT!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good choice.

I have heard the Streamline with the R Series, and it really worked well. I was never a fan of Cyrus, but that combination certainly "made music".

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Glad you came away happy.

Out of interest, bass-quantity aside, what other traits did you prefer in the R100's compared to the LS50?

iamjimmi

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Goat said:

Out of interest, bass-quantity aside, what other traits did you prefer in the R100's compared to the LS50?

I found the accuracy of the LS50 too much to handle! They were bordering on clinical. I read another review of a guy spilt between the two and he kind of nailed it when he said you find yourself analysing music with the LS50 but with the R100 you sit back, relax and let the music wash over you. The LS50's were amazing at detail - going back to the analogy I used about the band... you can hear the bass guitar as clear as it was playing a solo, likewise for the percussion, likewise for the keys, likewise for the vocals. But I found myself so drawn into the clarity of the different layers that I was no longer hearing the track as a complete ensemble.

But before I get slated for being a philistine, this hi-fi business is very subjective. Some folk will love the detail and accuracy. I am just sharing my thoughts. And of course, wired up to another system and they will sound completely different again.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
iamjimmi said:
Goat said:

I found the accuracy of the LS50 too much to handle! They were bordering on clinical. I read another review of a guy spilt between the two and he kind of nailed it when he said you find yourself analysing music with the LS50 but with the R100 you sit back, relax and let the music wash over you. The LS50's were amazing at detail - going back to the analogy I used about the band... you can hear the bass guitar as clear as it was playing a solo, likewise for the percussion, likewise for the keys, likewise for the vocals. But I found myself so drawn into the clarity of the different layers that I was no longer hearing the track as a complete ensemble.

But before I get slated for being a philistine, this hi-fi business is very subjective. Some folk will love the detail and accuracy. I am just sharing my thoughts. And of course, wired up to another system and they will sound completely different again.

Some people will like that separation and level of detail and others won't. I think if you are not used to it it can be a bit of a shock and will take a while to get used to. I had a similar experience when I upgraded my system years ago and it will suit some music more than others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts