Kef LS50 VS Kef R100

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone heard both? How would u describe the sound and what are differences between them?

In a review of the Cambridge Azur 851A they recommended Kef R-series. I have this amp but is more interested wih the LS50 and wonder if it would be a good match? I can't audition the speakers before buying because they are not sold here where I live, so I have order them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Both should work fine, but they do sound quite different.

The LS50 has had a lot more work done on it's cabinet, which allows the dirver to do what it is supposed to do - these sound more precise, digging out more detail, with better projection and focus.

The R100's are a little warmer sounding, and slightly laid back in comparison to the LS50's.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Given how reasonably priced the LS50 is, I don't know why anyone would buy the R100 for music. I could see it for home cinema, but for 2 speaker music listening, it's a no brainer to go for the LS50. The LS50 is a flagship statement speaker, the R100 is not.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Given how reasonably priced the LS50 is, I don't know why anyone would buy the R100 for music.

Those that like a bit more bass :)

I could see it for home cinema, but for 2 speaker music listening, it's a no brainer to go for the LS50. The LS50 is a flagship statement speaker, the R100 is not.

I think the LS50 is better for home cinema too seeing as they're so much more detailed. BUt again, some might prefer the smother sound of the R100's :u

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
have not heard the amp but i compared the LS50 against the R100, R300 and Ref 201/2

I thought the LS50 were more engaging and detailed then the R's but less bright then the Ref, a really good monitor speaker the one negative as David has said is the bass they are good at lower listening levels but they are really not as good as the R100 at decent listening levels with a bass heavy track. The LS50 are also on my shortlist vs other 2k speakers but i would only get them if i felt confident i could merge them properly with my sub.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
have not heard the amp but i compared the LS50 against the R100, R300 and Ref 201/2

I thought the LS50 were more engaging and detailed then the R's but less bright then the Ref

May I ask what system you heard with the 201/2s?

Thx

Cno

Edit. I've spotted on another thread that you used Krell, which I've never heard. I like them paired with the likes of McIntosh;Class A from Sugden Masterclass / Musical Fidelity AMS; or Electrocompaniet.

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
delhk said:

I thought the LS50 were more engaging and detailed then the R's but less bright then the Ref

Thx

Cno

was in the Kef showroom

Sorry dont know the source but the amps were krell mono blocks.....big ones! best i can tell the 2250 or 3250, it was the same system they were using for the Blades

I know a number of people rate the 201/2 but i found them overly bright in a similar vein to the MA PL100, but in this case it was the dominant characteristic, in its defence the salesman mentioned they were new and had just been put on display as they wanted to finish selling the rest of their stock, if KEF are bringing out a new Ref based on the LS50 and Blade that would be a very interesting speaker

delhk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
delhk said:

Thx

Cno

Edit. I've spotted on another thread that you used Krell, which I've never heard. I like them paired with the likes of McIntosh;Class A from Sugden Masterclass / Musical Fidelity AMS; or Electrocompaniet.

In terms of buying I'm jealous of the sheer range of equipment you have at your fingertips and even for home demo, and people like David and Rick who have a real interest in not just selling but advising as well

Hong Kong is terrible for buying normal equipment but its a high end nirvana i have seen a number of shops where you have 100k+ systems on demo all within 30mins of each other amazing to see in person but not very practical for 99% of us

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
was in the Kef showroom

Sorry dont know the source but the amps were krell mono blocks.....big ones! best i can tell the 2250 or 3250, it was the same system they were using for the Blades

I know a number of people rate the 201/2 but i found them overly bright in a similar vein to the MA PL100, but in this case it was the dominant characteristic, in its defence the salesman mentioned they were new and had just been put on display as they wanted to finish selling the rest of their stock, if KEF are bringing out a new Ref based on the LS50 and Blade that would be a very interesting speaker

:cheers:

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
delhk said:
In terms of buying I'm jealous of the sheer range of equipment you have at your fingertips and even for home demo, and people like David and Rick who have a real interest in not just selling but advising as well

Hong Kong is terrible for buying normal equipment but its a high end nirvana i have seen a number of shops where you have 100k+ systems on demo all within 30mins of each other amazing to see in person but not very practical for 99% of us

I actually live in Ireland, and though the range is more limited than on the UK mainland, we are blessed with some terrific dealers.

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had the pleasure to listen to both speakers you mention on a demo although with a Audiolab8200A amplifier. I was very impressed with the R100's and out of the two I prefered them. To my ears I liked the detail I got from the R100's over the Ls50's. For the price I thought they offered great value.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
As good as the 8200A is, I think the LS50's deserve a little better :)

I have an Onkyo TX-NR5008 reciever and a Myryad MXA 2150 power amp. How do you thing it would work with the LS50's?

/Evert

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
e_kjellgren said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
As good as the 8200A is, I think the LS50's deserve a little better :)

I have an Onkyo TX-NR5008 reciever and a Myryad MXA 2150 power amp. How do you thing it would work with the LS50's?

/Evert

I haven't heard any Myryad stuff for a long time, but it should do a very good job of driving the LS50's.

A

Anonymous

I have listened to both with a Marantz PM6004 amplifier in a demo room of Sevenoaks Holborn. I started with a rather thorough listen of R100 with all sorts of music, but when LS50 were put on the choice become obvious. Vocals and acoustic guitar sounded so much more detailed and forward. Can't really comment on the bass as this is not a major concern to me. I ended up buying them for 800 quid (R100 were 600 quid.) Must be said though that this is my first audiophile grade gear, so take this with a grain of salt.

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all replies.

I do have Linn Majik 109 bookshelf speakers. This sells for the same price here in Norway. Do u think the LS50 is a better speaker? And how does it compare do Majik 109?

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
David

Could you expand on the differences between the R series and the Reference series please. I heard the Blades and the R500's (and I think the R300's) at the Manchester show a little while back. KEF were at pains to point out the family sound, arguing the 'trickle down technlogy' case. Which I have to say sounded a very valid argument given what I heard. Liked all of them, loved the Blades, all three giving plenty of detail without becoming clinical.

So where does that leave the Reference Series / LS50? Is it basically a different sound, sacrificing some of the natural 'warmth' for extra detail? I used to own, and indeed a friend still has, a pair of RDM1's. They sound good; lots of detail if a little bass light, which is how you described the LS50. I haven't tried it yet but reckon the RDM1's with a decent subwoofer would sound great.

I suspect both series have different sonic signatures and will therefore appeal to different buyers. I'm currently using Harbeth Compact 7/2's, which I guess are more akin to the R series than the References. Are my instincts right, given £3k to spend would I be best going for the R900's or seaching out an ex-dem pair of 203/2's? Heck, I think I'll just save for the Blades (I've already got enough for the premium paint job!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts