Kef LS50 perfect benchmark

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
So I have now got my new ls50's and an arcam a19 amp and I finally realise what hifi is.

ive had interest in hifi for years but more towards home cinema, all the talk I hear about warm, bright, detailed, scale sound etc etc I never understood until now.

these speakers are amazing and I really wonder what spending thousands give back, if I'm honest I don't think the amp does them justice, I'm listening in a small dining room off kitchen only 3m x 3m and the amp is on 90 out of 100 most of the time, which Is very loud but I do think should go to about 125.

the speakers though are amazing and everyone should at least try them to benchmark what they want to achieve from their own system either spending less or more. Everything is new so needs running in and at the moment I'm using a cheap aux cable from my iPhone running spotify as a source (irdac coming soon) but it still sounds amazing.

hurt by Christians aguilera is my fav test song currently, I used my my ma rx6 with the arcam before and although good this is what made me understand scale when I hooked up the ls50's they just sound 'bigger'

all the reviews I've seen of the ls50 are positive and I would not disagree at all, the a19 though I'm not so sure, I'll keep an open mind when run in but I tried the ls50's with my denon 2312 receiver and if I'm honest the receiver sounded as good, different but still good.

anyway back to the point have a listen to the ls50's if you want to hear what good speakers should sound like.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You can up the perceived volume on the a19 slightly by tweaking the menu settings. All you need to do is boost the input trims a little and you may find helpful. Also,the output from your iPhone will be limited so I am sure that 40-50 on the dial will provide you with sufficient volume once you have your dac.

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
So the DAC has arrived...

having listened to spotify on my iPhone at volume 99 I now only 50 and it sounds amazing!

the amp has come into its own, powerful.

its very hard to say what I've achieved with the DAC but all I know is it sounds better to my ears and the DAC itself is useful with the remote functionality. The main thing for me is that I know I'm getting the best from what I've got, not used it with anything other than iPhone and spotify yet so will update when I have.

im looking at the DAC as a £400 source so it seems good value, but whether spending £400 more on the amp would have made a diff I'm not sure, Roksan candy maybe?

Still really happy with the LS50's though, now thinking I want some b & w pm1s

For me hifi is a hobby and I love music, but I also live the equipment itself and at the moment I'm very happy with the set up.

by the way the DAC is definitely NOT comparable with the accessory power on the A19 amp as it states in the what hifi review. Different size connector and different voltage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts