kef ls50 meta

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

so kef have released the new ls50 meta.
the original ls50's were released in 2012.
the question is how much better will the new model actually sound with all those further years of development ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

from the official kef website a comparison of the differences between the original kef ls50 and the new meta version :-
(scroll to the bottom under "what's new").

D

Deleted member 188516

another new feature of the new ls50 meta version is that it has "mounting inserts" to allow the speakers to be attached to the partnering "kef s2 floor stand" speaker stands.

great as this will dispel the argument regarding which is best between speaker and speaker stand - the use of blu-tach vs gel pads. just a shame the matching stands cost £400...

manicm

exactly its the review i would be interested in ! i wonder if a youtube video will appear showing an a/b switch of old vs new ls50 ?
there are videos featuring the old passive vs wireless version such as this one :-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJo-0n1ous

The Steve Gutenberg review is essentially an A/B review. He owns the original LS50. When he says he was ‘floored’ he’s talking relative to the originals.

D

Deleted member 188516

The Steve Gutenberg review is essentially an A/B review. He owns the original LS50. When he says he was ‘floored’ he’s talking relative to the originals.

i mean like the one in the attached video - a filmed a/b comparison. i know people say such videos are pointless due to mics used, playback system of viewers etc but i still enjoy them !

It’s interesting that KEF offered more variety of stands, while keeping the LS50 unchanged. There were special versions of Custom Design, then their own model , and now yet another permutation.
Personally, I liked mine on pads rather than coupled!

D

Deleted member 188516

It’s interesting that KEF offered more variety of stands, while keeping the LS50 unchanged. There were special versions of Custom Design, then their own model , and now yet another permutation.
Personally, I liked mine on pads rather than coupled!

i believe the new speaker stands feature a locking system featuring holes that the new meta speakers rubber feet "slot" into place.

i think its a better idea than the screw and thread "bolting" system used by other manufacturers especially as it allows quick(er) removal from the stands.

i'm guessing kef did not want to build threads into the cabinets of the new meta versions which apparently have a different stronger internal bracing than the mk1 models.

edit : the speakers have holes in the cabinet as shown in this video 1m40sec mark :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuruN27ktE0

D

Deleted member 188516

What would be the reason to get these over the Kef R3? I'm genuinely considering one of the 2

good question and i await some answers.
the ls50 meta speakers are of interest to me as they are a "standalone" range as such, meaning, there is no floor standing version unlike the other kef ranges.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
good question and await some answers.
the ls50 meta speakers are of interest to me as they are a "standalone" range as such, meaning, there is no floor standing version unlike the other kef ranges.

Will do.

Also, what streamer would be best suited to this? Sonos Amp (primarily because I'm also thinking of buying an Arc at some point and ideally like to stick to one eco system), Bluesound Powernode, or something else?

I'm looking at a budget of £2k max. I'm not sure if any similar products are on the horizon.

D

Deleted member 188516

Will do.

Also, what streamer would be best suited to this? Sonos Amp (primarily because I'm also thinking of buying an Arc at some point and ideally like to stick to one eco system), Bluesound Powernode, or something else?

I'm looking at a budget of £2k max. I'm not sure if any similar products are on the horizon.

i meant to type "good question and "i" await some answers" - no sarcasm intended !

streamers ?

simon 13th note is your man to answer that but he is currently banned...

Reactions: Hems
D

Deleted member 188516

I tried the R3's predecessor, the R300 and wasn't impressed. Better bass than the LS50 but imaging was very poor - sound was all over the place.
I much preferred the powerful focused sound of the LS50
R300 better for a party

may i ask what speaker stands were being used and were the r300 and ls50's "blu-tacked down" ?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
..... what streamer would be best suited to this? Sonos Amp (primarily because I'm also thinking of buying an Arc at some point and ideally like to stick to one eco system), Bluesound Powernode, or something else?

If you're thinking of adding a streamer, then it might be worth looking at the LS50W-2 actives.
This new version of the wireless actives had had a much bigger makeover and improvement compared with the passive versions, including direct access to more streaming services and Roon, with a completely new and improved app to control it all.
You could save money by selling an existing amp.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
If you're thinking of adding a streamer, then it might be worth looking at the LS50W-2 actives.
This new version of the wireless actives had had a much bigger makeover and improvement compared with the passive versions, including direct access to more streaming services and Roon, with a completely new and improved app to control it all.
You could save money by selling an existing amp.

I was considering the wireless version but with the rate that tech changes I’d rather have it connected to something I can upgrade. Need something that’s AirPlay 2 compatible that I can use with HomeKit.

To be honest, I’m also concerned about KEFs ability to keep the software/feature compatibility up to date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts