KEF LS50, any competitors?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
freedom1971 said:
Yup. Why isn't there a shop that stock every brand that you can demo everything in one foul swoop, then you'd never make the wrong choice...

Demoing too much kit can cause its own problems. You can cast the net too wide.

Wasn't really being serious when I said this. My dry sense of humour doesn't really come across on forums!

You are quite right though, too much choice is not necessarily a good thing, but it is annoying when you can't find just one dealer with the brands you are interested in, unless you are happy to travel some distance, which I am not!

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Pjotter said:
Pjotter said:
Would my PM6005 be to light to drive the KEF LS50's? If so are there competitors with a lower pricetag which would match my amp in the same way or even better? Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you all for your comments. Getting back to my question: Why doesn't the speaker manufacturer help us out? In this case answering the question: What would be the minimum requirements/specs of an amp in order to enjoy your investment in LS50's to a reasonable/minimal level. I dropped the question at KEF whether my PM6005 amp is suitable to drive the LS50, fair question I reckon, no answer though.

Why isn't there more TRANSPARENCY in this world where an amp without a speaker or a speaker without an amp couldn't exist?

I don't think manufacturers can really make the specific recommendations that you are seeking. Pretty much any speaker will work with any amp, it's just a matter of how well they will work. The LS50's may well be great with the Marantz, and I can imagine that for me they would be, probably the kind of sound signature I would go for, but you have to hear for yourself. Synergy is everything with amp & speakers and no review can ever take that into account, or indeed your own particular preference.

The LS50's would certainly give you a lot of scope for upgrading your amp & source if you so wanted in the future. I imagine they would not be at all out of place on the end of some quite high end electronics.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
freedom1971 said:
I think the AE 301's are criminally overlooked too, well worth an audition. Maybe even the cheaper 101's as well, spec looks identical, just no gloss black or white finish.

This,

I briefly heard these 301 in a shop , great sound from what little I heard, somone was having a quick demo,

AE seemed to go off the radar in favour of overrated stuff from MA , KEF, etc

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I really don't understand this tendency people have towards pairing £800 speakers with £350 amps. I know people say the speakers make the biggest difference but I have to point out here that a speaker can only perform as well as the amp that drives AND controls it. From this point of view I'd be considering a better amp or sticking with speakers more appropriate for the PM6005 such as Q Acoustics Concept 20s or Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s.

On the contrary I dont understand why some people limit the performance of their expensive high end source and amp by sticking a pair of £150-200 bookshelf speakers on there, limiting the scale, depth and insight to their system. If they can afford a good system they can afford more appropriate speakers IMO

My opinion is to pick speakers in a similar price range as the other comonents....generally speaking of course

it seems you agree here

your system seems well balanced, with the speakers from a similar price range as the amp and source, and I bet it sounds really nice,

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I really don't understand this tendency people have towards pairing £800 speakers with £350 amps. I know people say the speakers make the biggest difference but I have to point out here that a speaker can only perform as well as the amp that drives AND controls it. From this point of view I'd be considering a better amp or sticking with speakers more appropriate for the PM6005 such as Q Acoustics Concept 20s or Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s.
HOORAY!!!!!!. At least one other on here that understands an amplifier not only drives the speaker but controls it as well.

In the context of the LS50, I would say that the PM6005 may be a bit light in the current department. If it were me, and this is only my opinion, I would sway towards an amp with a more meaty power supply. In my book that's either Naim XS or Roksan Kandy. Both of those SHOULD be able to provide the LS50s with what they will require. Matthewpiano is exactly right in this sense.

If you stay with the 6005 I would take a trip to Richer Sounds and try the Roth Oli RA3s or 4s. I think they're £299 and £399 a pair respectively. The reason I suggest these is due to the type of music you listen to. Especially Jazz Rock. If you insist on the LS50s I think you're going to have to invest in a bit more amp muscle for the control aspect. Just my opinion. Oh, and don't forget the other suggestions Matthew made for loudspeakers. All of them very valid IMO.

cbg0

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
The LS50s will run just fine on a PM6005, don't worry about the people complaining about how you need to spend just as much on the amp.

Pjotter

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
cbg0 said:
The LS50s will run just fine on a PM6005, don't worry about the people complaining about how you need to spend just as much on the amp.

Has anyone got the experience of running the LS50 with a PM6005 at home?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
So the latest issue of Hi-Fi Choice had a group test of standmounters... ATC SCM7, Dali Ikon 2 Mk2, Focal Aria 906, KEF LS50, Mission SX2 and Monitor Audio Silver 2.

Another win for ATC again, although personally I have never been impressed with either the old generation SCM series nor the new ones with curved cabinets. In the interest of the star rating system that so many forummers here have expressed their love for, the ATC, KEF and Monitor Audio earned 5 stars while the other 3 were given 4 stars.

Gibalok

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Gents,

now i have R300 Kef's being driven by CA 640av2 which is i believe good amp for beginning hi-fi but now enough for KEF r300. Im considering to buy some good well powered amp in $3000-4000 price range and close the question.

There are two reasons of changing an amp. Ca640 is a bit noisy and im not satisfied well with low level listening dynamic range and that im considering to switch to more advanced AS loke AE reference 2 or even Penaudio Cenya which i was impressed at show room with Teac AI-3000.

well, im considering Teac AI-3000, MF 6i and Marantz 14s3.

What is your opinion on these amps reffering to KEF R300?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts