KEF KHT3005SE Receiver upgrade?

Supernova 22 said:
I currently have the Sony STR2400ES but feel im not getting the best out of my speakers,any suggetions for a suitable upgrade?

Hi Supernova 22

Yamaha's Aventage RX-A1010, RX-A2010 and RX-A3010 are worth serious consideration as these amplifiers quality of power and performance will help bring out even an greater level of performance from the KHT-3005SE's :) Btw, these amplifiers are now on their way out and the generally reduced prices makes all three models even more attractive.

In my experirence KEF KHT speakers work a treat with Yamaha AV amplification :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
+1.......Musicraft advised me on when i wanted to change from the marantz 1501 and i opted for the A1010.The difference in the sound that was coming out of thev speakers shocked me to be honest,i swear i could hear detail previously unheard.As one expert put it...'it's all about driving the speakers corectcly'

Supernova 22

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Musicraft/GSB ,but woudnt the RX-A3010 be too powerful for my sats? if not ,then how about the Pioneer LX55 which also had great reviews? My system is used more for music than movies.

Yes, the 3010 is a bit of an overkill for your system.

You really need to demo your shortlist prior to purchase. All receivers have their own unique signature sound. Some prefer the Yamaha or Denon, while others prefer the Pioneer, yet others prefer the Onkyo.

Pioneer LX55 is another receiver worthy of a demo.

Supernova 22 said:
Thanks for the advice Musicraft/GSB ,but woudnt the RX-A3010 be too powerful for my sats? if not ,then how about the Pioneer LX55 which also had great reviews? My system is used more for music than movies.

Hi Supernova 22

Your welcome.

Yamahas' Aventage RX-A1010 is rated at 110w/ch and the Aventage RX-A3010 at 150w/ch. You are unlikely to use all of the RX-A1010's power let alone the RX-A3010's. All things being equal the quality of power is more important then the quantity of power. The more effectively an amplifier such as the Aventage RX-A3010 compared to the Aventage RX-A1010 energizes the KEF HTS3001SE & HTC3001SE satellite speakers the better they'll perform. So as long as you keep the volume in check then the Aventage RX-A3010 can be used perfectly well with KEF KHT3005SE speakers :)

Fwiw, i am currenty listening to a pair of Monitor Audio's BX2 speakers (30-100w recommended amplifier) which are being powered by a Krell FPB600 power amplifier (600w/ch) :twisted:

Btw, the Pioneer's LX55 is also a good amplifier however in my experience the synergy/tonal match between KEF KHT speakers and Yamaha AV amplification is just superb :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bump this old thread up, was wondering if anyone has hooked KHT-3005se with a Denon or Marantz receiver could share some of their experiences? :)

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I just upgraded from sony 1200es to Denon 3313. Huge difference. I went to Sevenoaks to try the Yamaha based on all the hype and the current discounts on last years models. For the money the Yamahas are great. However comparing the 2010 yamaha to the 3313 i preferred the Denon. Had more base, more ommpf and sounded fuller. Its all personal though. But it did help me make a decision. Highly recommend you try them and not just watch a Blue Ray but listen to music through them.

From what i was told the watts from the more expensive amps help to give it more guts at any volume level.

buzz_lightclick

Hi Gizmo that's interesting, I have the Kef 3005SE speakers but no AV receiver yet.

I was looking at the Yamaha rx-a1010 due to it being nearly half price at the moment plus Yamaha is meant to pair well with Kef.

I wouldn't be able to afford the Denon AVR-3313, as it's about £1100, but I suspect it sounds similar to last year's Denon 3312 which might be more affordable if I can find one! Have you found that the Audyssey has made a difference?

A

Anonymous

I think the audessey has made a big difference compared to my previous amps set up. It was extremely easy to follow the instructions and sounds great. I guess if a pro did it he would tweak it further but to my ears its great.

I think the yamaha sounded great but it was just emphasised different frequencies. Like choosing between a BMW and Merc both great just what do you prefer. I thought both amps were a big improvement over my previous amp. The previous model yamaha's are a bargain atm and i was seriously tempted. I would recommend going to a shop to listen. it does help show what you like and not just going by a review. For example the pioneers are great for movies but not such good alrounders and were much brighter. So the yamaha and denon are more of an alrounder.

I went to sevenoaks and spent 2 hours listening to various amps and music and films before i made a decision. FYI they had a 1010 yamaha left and they had just tried to install it in a flat but the owner hadnt measured their cabinet and it didnt fit. So it was brand new in box but box opened. It was even cheaper than the current discount price!! Chelsea sevenoaks. Might still have it in stock.

I also went for the denon because i was geting a denon blue ray and also im doing a home set up and the 3313 has 3 outs which means i can sent the hdmi to the two other tvs in my house. Saved me having to buy other kit.

A

Anonymous

I think the audessey has made a big difference compared to my previous amps set up. It was extremely easy to follow the instructions and sounds great. I guess if a pro did it he would tweak it further but to my ears its great.

I think the yamaha sounded great but it was just emphasised different frequencies. Like choosing between a BMW and Merc both great just what do you prefer. I thought both amps were a big improvement over my previous amp. The previous model yamaha's are a bargain atm and i was seriously tempted. I would recommend going to a shop to listen. it does help show what you like and not just going by a review. For example the pioneers are great for movies but not such good alrounders and were much brighter. So the yamaha and denon are more of an alrounder.

I went to sevenoaks and spent 2 hours listening to various amps and music and films before i made a decision. FYI they had a 1010 yamaha left and they had just tried to install it in a flat but the owner hadnt measured their cabinet and it didnt fit. So it was brand new in box but box opened. It was even cheaper than the current discount price!! Chelsea sevenoaks. Might still have it in stock.

I also went for the denon because i was geting a denon blue ray and also im doing a home set up and the 3313 has 3 outs which means i can sent the hdmi to the two other tvs in my house. Saved me having to buy other kit.

buzz_lightclick

Hi cheers for that, useful info. On reading about the Denon 3313 I was surprised to see it doesn't have Audyssey multeq xt32 but I'm sure it still sounds great :) Yep I intend to demo yamaha aventage, denon and possibly the onkyo nr818 and will take it from there :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts