KEF Egg work intermittently with 2010 Macbook Pro

Jarnesque

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right forum - please guide me if otherwise!

I bought some KEF Egg desktop speakers about 9 months ago to use with my 2010 Macbook Pro, but they work only intermittently via USB and also intermittently via Bluetooth. I'm not sure whether this is the speakers, my Mac or a combination between the two but often they are just not recognised in the sound preference pane when connected via USB and then, when they are, they sometimes just cut out after a few minutes (which means the sound defaults back to the MacBook's speakers). I have no easy way of checking this problem with another laptop - mac or otherwise to see if this is a problem with the laptop. Similarly when I try to connect the speakers via bluetooth, sometimes they will connect and work, sometimes they won't. Ditto trying to use an iphone or ipad to connect via Bluetooth. Despite trying to play around with different variables - e.g., connecting via USB before turning the speakers on, leaving the sound preferences pane open, turning around three times while whistling, I can't find what the problem might be.

The fact that the speakers do play occasionally and work okay when connected directly with a 3.5mm jack connection suggests the problem is something to do with the laptop or with the speakers and the laptop combination. I've heard some USB sound devices don't work too well with Macs??

The speakers do sound fantastic when they are working and this, combined with the fact that I'm working in Saudi Arabia, means it's not so easy just packaging them back off to Amazon in the UK so I'd rather not give up too easily. And at the moment I'm not sure a replacement would perform any differently.

I have been in touch with KEF directly - they were supportive but couldn't shed any other light on this.

Any ideas??

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The only way to really find out is try the Eggs with a different computer or try the computer with different speakers. I realise you say that's difficult. But there's no real way other than process of elimination. When you say they disappear from the computer's devices, that could be as simple as a dodgy USB lead, or it could be the USB socket on either the eggs or the computer. But you're never going to be able to tell what the problem it is without removing some variables. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

You go on to say they work just as intermittently via bluetooth, either from your phone or your Macbook. If you live in a 'noisy' area surrounded by lots of wifi signals, that could be the cause of the problem, because bluetooth uses the same frequencies as wifi. Or you just simply might have a duff set of speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts