KEF 3.1 or KEF/B&W 5.1 speaker package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm considering buying the KEF 7005 3.1 speaker set up, but concerned that the sound will be not up to that of a 5.1 system. I cannot find any reliable reviews or feed back on this set up. Will the surround sound be as good as a 5.1 set up, I'm not interested in using it for music only films. I intend to wall mount the rear speaks close to ceiling height, but would this also have an effect on the sound?

The idea of having two less speakers is appealing and I prefer the minimilist look. I could also utilise my Arcam Solo/Alto set up for the front speakers but this will require using pre-outs. From my understanding this will result in possible unbalances in the sound and make the system more difficult to set up, something I wish to avoid. This would also mean having to spend more on a receiver than I wish to spend.

The third option is to use the KEF 3005 speakers or B&W MT25, with all four speakers wall mounted.

My current set up is PS3, Sony Bravia W series TV.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Personally I'd go for the KEF/B&W 5.1 set up - whichever one of the two suits your musical taste/ears/equipment choice better.

Anything less than 5.1 is not true surround sound and you will have to decide if you can put up with front only effects.

The B&W/KEF eggs are really quite small but with the .1 option of the subwoofer you should be able to blend them in with your decor - I think both are available in a choice of black or white. Their relatively small size means they are inconspicuous.

Rear speakers can be mounted higher than the front set - some say it sounds better that way giving the impression of a bigger soundstage. That wasn't a Jeremy Clarkson impersonation btw...

And on that bombshell we'll have to end it there.

Edit: Just looked at the KEF system you were referring to - it is a 5.1 system but the front 3 speakers are within a soundbar that fits under your 32" TV. My apologies as I thought you were referring to a KEF 'egg' system...

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts