Keep the Roksan Caspian M2 or change?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Try again

Bought a Roksan Caspian M2 at the weekend. So far 2 CD's wont track properly. Both happen to be Pink Flyod CD's.

The shop gave me a gentle warning that they have had several units returned with this issue and suggested a Denson B410XS instead.

I took the Roksan and they told me to test for a week and if any problem bring it back and they would replace the unit or change for the Denson

Nothing worse than buying new kit that is faulty, so what with the shop's comments, my confidence in another Roksan is low.

Anyone heard the Denson B410XS or has opinion if i should make the switch?

I would suggest you ask the dealer questions, such as if they have a faulty batch can they change it? Spending that sort of money deserves better than a gentle hint.

If the dealer doesn't give you a satisfactory answer then contact Roksan themselves and be very honest.

I had a similar problem with my Leema amp (earthing problem). I cut out the dealer and went straight to the makers and they repaired the unit and arranged collection and delivery FOC.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I am a long way from the UK. The shop was pretty clear on the issues they have had, but i was not expecting a next day issue.

They have of course offered to replace the unit, but are less than confident it wont happen again.

So far all other CD's played are ok and the sound is excellent.

I could simply replace it with a new unit or take the offer to change to the Denson with the long guarentee

No point in having a CDP if you're not confident on the reliablity of the unit. I would still phone or email the dealer and/or maker and explain your situation. Can't say whether the Densen will be to your liking or not, but if it isnt where do you go from there?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
They will bring the Denson round to my home tomorrow to listen in my own system where i can decide to take a new Denson or have the Roksan replaced.

Can't complain about the service and fairness of the shop.

The Rokasn was an easy purchase based on reveiws here and certainly is a significant advance on my old Theta data Basic/Wadia 12 combo. I read so many threads with some issues with Cyrus CD players, laser failure on another CD player i have and loading issues on the Theta(ok its 20 years old) i was expecting a no hassle purchase with the Roksan

And for the earlier poster

Rega RP3/Elys 2, Parasound P3 Pre-amp, Usher R1.5 Power Amp, Usher Mini Dancer 2

Sorry, you've lost me here. You said you lived a long distance from the UK, so I assume the dealer is local, right?

The issues with Cyrus, I gather, was the cd SE MKI version. The firmware was unreliable since they fitted a slot-entry as opposed to the traditional drawer. I believe, however, they have recified it with SE2 version.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
IJ said:
So far 2 CD's wont track properly. Both happen to be Pink Flyod CD's.

Are they the 1990s issues of e.g. Dark Side? I had a couple of these and there was a fault in the label ink used by EMI - it leaked and ate into the CD layer!

If all other CDs you have work OK I'd dump the Floyd CDs and get the music elsewhere.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why not try the Denson and see if it sounds any better?

If your player does not play some cds I would change it, these things tend to get worse reading other cd player problems.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
IJ said:
Try again

Bought a Roksan Caspian M2 at the weekend. So far 2 CD's wont track properly. Both happen to be Pink Flyod CD's.

The shop gave me a gentle warning that they have had several units returned with this issue and suggested a Denson B410XS instead.

I took the Roksan and they told me to test for a week and if any problem bring it back and they would replace the unit or change for the Denson

Nothing worse than buying new kit that is faulty, so what with the shop's comments, my confidence in another Roksan is low.

Anyone heard the Denson B410XS or has opinion if i should make the switch?

I don't understant the Roksan is playing all your CDs OK except except 2 Pink Floyd CD's ?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Continued listening into the night. Apart from the 2 CD's mentioned,all sounded fine, then half way into a Roxette live CD, jump, skip, speed up, stop. The display then said no disc.

So far about 3 out of 15 CD's dont track. Tested each again on my old CD player and all track fine and retested on the Capsian and all skip. I cleaned the CD's but no difference. Maybe i am just unlucky so hoping this is a one off and a replacement unit will resolve the issue.

Part of the reason to buy it, was being an double award winner it should be a no brainer + i wanted to get closer to the sound of the RP3(truly amazing) + had enough issues already with error mesages on the Theta and on my second laser already on the CD-7

My dealer is local to me, but not in the UK

I will get to listen to the Densen tonight, but deep down i want to try out another Caspian unit.

IJ said:
Part of the reason to buy it, was being an double award winner it should be a no brainer + i wanted to get closer to the sound of the RP3(truly amazing) + had enough issues already with error mesages on the Theta and on my second laser already on the CD-7

I will get to listen to the Densen tonight, but deep down i want to try out another Caspian unit.

It sounds like a dodgy consignment or batch, as I alluded to earlier. But it doesn't matter if they're gold plated throughout, a duff batch is a duff batch, regardless of awards. This is why I always try to encourage demoing before parting with money, especially if the dealer has previously warned you.

An award winner only tells a part of the story: If your room acoustics aren't upto scratch or if it doesn't match the amp or speakers... or just may not be to your taste. We all hear different things, and taking a flyer based on reputation alone, as often as not, ends in tears.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
IJ said:
Continued listening into the night. Apart from the 2 CD's mentioned,all sounded fine, then half way into a Roxette live CD, jump, skip, speed up, stop. The display then said no disc.

So far about 3 out of 15 CD's dont track. Tested each again on my old CD player and all track fine and retested on the Capsian and all skip. I cleaned the CD's but no difference. Maybe i am just unlucky so hoping this is a one off and a replacement unit will resolve the issue.

I have never had any problems with my caspian m2 have you checked your CDs good luck in sorting it out

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site

It sounds like a dodgy consignment or batch, as I alluded to earlier. But it doesn't matter if they're gold plated throughout, a duff batch is a duff batch, regardless of awards. This is why I always try to encourage demoing before parting with money, especially if the dealer has previously warned you.

An award winner only tells a part of the story: If your room acoustics aren't upto scratch or if it doesn't match the amp or speakers... or just may not be to your taste. We all hear different things, and taking a flyer based on reputation alone, as often as not, ends in tears.

[/quote]

But i did audition it before purchasing. Being an award winner makes it an easy choice to have it top of my list to audition. It ticked all my boxes, so i bought it. I don't have the time to spend endless hours auditioning CD players trying to hear minute differences.

SteveR750

Personally I'd ring Roksan, and give them the serial number, and details of where you bought it from.

I had a similar problem with a Cyrus CD6SE Mk1, and a simple firmware fixed it, but I had to speak directly to Cyrus to fully understand how to fix it and quickly. No real critiscism of the retailer, other than most know less than your average active forum member.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Personally I'd ring Roksan, and give them the serial number, and details of where you bought it from.

I had a similar problem with a Cyrus CD6SE Mk1, and a simple firmware fixed it, but I had to speak directly to Cyrus to fully understand how to fix it and quickly. No real critiscism of the retailer, other than most know less than your average active forum member.

Roksan have the serial number and are looking into it. My ears tell me to stay with the Caspian, so a replacement unit will be delivered within the next few days.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
So just to update and hopefully the final entry. New unit was delivered tonight as promised.

Plugged in and the three CD's that could not play, all play fine.

Amazing sound

Thanks for the excellent support from Roksan

SteveR750

Glad it's worked out well. I have to add that Roksan are an interesting bunch to talk to - they're quite happy to chew the fat over stuff informally with you on the phone too. I've got to call them again, and badger them about an M2 pre/power with onboard DAC they were supposed to developing....

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, Steve have you heard any update on the Roksan DAC ?

I am waiting for the new Naim V1 dac to come out before I start demoing again, shortlist are NAD M51, MF Clic, Naim V1 ( Naim streamers don't have usb ).

Glad you are happy with your CD now, mine has not skipped a beat in 2 1/2 years and have no intention of changing it.

Thanks

SteveR750

Shanka said:
Hi, Sorry to hijack the thread a little, Steve have you heard any update on the Roksan DAC ? I am waiting for the new Naim V1 dac to come out before I start demoing again, shortlist are NAD M51, MF Clic, Naim V1 ( Naim streamers don't have usb ). Glad you are happy with your CD now, mine has not skipped a beat in 2 1/2 years and have no intention of changing it. Thanks

Sory, nothing to report yet. I haven't had time to contact them, been really busy at work.

When I get a chance, I'm planning to call them again and find out what's going on.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Steve,

Thanks for that, wondering if you were going to give the new Naim a listen when it becomes available ?
Latest I have heard is end of March from Naim, have also heard MF are soon to release an android app for the Clic which is very handy for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts