Keep my speakers and upgrade to Blue Ray.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Due to loss of work because of Parkinson's I have a limited budget. My current 5:1 system is a Sony S800AV. It does not have HDMI connections. I would like a Blue Ray player. Sony say connect via Optical but I believe I will lose out on sound quality! Is there a combined amp/ blue ray suitable for purpose that will allow me to retain my current speakers which I am happy with?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You will lose out on the HD audio by connecting over optical.

Does your amp have analogue 7.1 inputs? If so you could get a player with analogue outputs which can provide the HD audio.

There are one box solutoons around but they may not be as good as a separate player and amp.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you using a Sony DAV-S 800 system?

davs800.jpg

If you are I would expect you will not notice any significant difference in sound quality until you change the speakers. Then the amp, and finally the source.

Perhaps you should consider getting a budget blu-ray first (e.g. Sony s370) - and connect to you existing amp optically, and upgrade to a seperate AV amp and new 5.1 setup further down the line. At least you will get immediate gratification on the picture front - even if the audio is similar - though most likely also improved...

TRENDING THREADS