KDL-46HX853 without Soundbar?

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Following your glowing review I am considering buying the Sony KDL-46HX853 however there are a couple of things that I don't like about it: namely the soundbar and the backwards tilted panel. Since I have a separate seceiver and speakers, the in built sound is rather un-important for me. And I would like to stand the panel vertical. So my question is whether Sony makes/sells a panel with the same video specifications as the KDL-46HX853 but with a normal mounting foot and no soundbar?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You're probably better off getting a wall mount instead if that's a feasible option in your room.

FWIW, I'm with you on the lean back stance. Can't think of any reason why anyone would actually want that.:?

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If one went for a wall mount installation of the KDL-46HX853 presumably one would have to take the soundbar foot off it? Is that an allowed configuration? Or coming back to my original question, is there a model where you can just buy the panel?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Must admit I rather like the lean back stance, but each to his own. Re the OP, we haven't seen any other type of stand available for the KDL-46HX853 and there's no such option on the Sony website (clickety). The only other option would be to wall mount it.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

I have recently bought this tv and don't use the soundbar stand as i wall mounted the tv and can confirm that this is an acceptable configuration, the tv then outputs sound through the traditionally thin and weedy built in speakers which i don't use due to having my own home cinema set up.

There is no comparable tv in the Sony range without a soundbar stand i'm afraid, the KDL-46HX753 would be the only other option if wall mounting the tv was not an option for you but in terms of picture quality it's not as good as the 853 with a real difference in contrast levels, the 753 lacks any punch with contrast and seemed to me more washed out when compared to the 853 when i auditioned them.

I beleive the two tvs also have different panels as the 853 has a Gorilla glass outer panel with the 753 having a standard LCD panel finish and of course there are differences in menu options and processing with the 853 carrying the latest version of Sonys Motionflow tech.

If you have the wall space i would advise you get the 46HX853 and wall mount the tv, brackets are not too expensive and you can install it yourself if you have some basic DIY knowledge.

A

Anonymous

I've had my 46HX853 now since Monday on the soundbar stand. The tilted angle looks gorgeous when the tv is off but I'd prefer the standard angle for viewing, absolutely. Any chance sony may bring out something more standard to fit the HX853 range? I've got a soundbar so need for the inbuilt sound either.

Any chance I could get some guidance on optimum picture settings? I find the menus a bit bewildering. The picture though is to die for. I was wacthing the enquiry epsidoe of the recent Thick of it series on BBCHD and I have to say its probably one of the most stunning HD pictures I've seen

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
had my heart set on a Panny ST50 until I walked past the Sony centre and popped in, must say I was quite impressed with the Sony and its got me thinking!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Mikey311 said:
I've had my 46HX853 now since Monday on the soundbar stand. The tilted angle looks gorgeous when the tv is off but I'd prefer the standard angle for viewing, absolutely. Any chance sony may bring out something more standard to fit the HX853 range? I've got a soundbar so need for the inbuilt sound either.

Any chance I could get some guidance on optimum picture settings? I find the menus a bit bewildering. The picture though is to die for. I was wacthing the enquiry epsidoe of the recent Thick of it series on BBCHD and I have to say its probably one of the most stunning HD pictures I've seen

There is no sign of a stand on the Sony website so i think the soundbar stand will be the only option unless the ones from the 753 fits but i have no idea if it would or not.

What sort of guidance would you like regarding picture settings? I've calibrated my screen so i can give you some help just let me know what you would like to know, bear in mind though that there will probably be differences between my settings and what you find acceptable due to lighting conditions and variences in manufacture but i can at least give you a good starting point.

I've been through all the menus including all the sub menus within sub menus which are a bit of a pain so just let me know what info you would like.

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Curioser and curioser. It seems that Sony does offer the KDL-46HX85n series without the soundbar in both Asia and USA -- see these links:

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-46hx853

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-k2FS1fQosvz/p_15846HX850/Sony-KDL-46HX850.html

A

Anonymous

this sony set uses vesa for it's standard mounting, so samsung's you can use WMN250M >

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/tv-accessories/WMN250M/XC?subsubtype=photo-frame-wall-mount

it's the tv i have and the wall mount i'm using. very nice. don't need to buy additional fixtures or fittings as it comes with various ones.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep both of those links show the same stand which still angles the screen backwards o a tilt so still not a solution to your issue, i'm with Big Chris...wall mount the tv, it's quite simple if you buy a decent bracket but don't be tempted to save money and buy a cheap as chips one as it's a false economy. Budget for around £100 for a decent wall mount and this should be plenty.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris said:
FWIW, I'm with you on the lean back stance. Can't think of any reason why anyone would actually want that.:?

It's for people with poncy, low furniture. Like me :) Even still, I'd rather than stand was adjustable between vertical and leaning back.

A

Anonymous

I also dont want the soundbar, as I have a small table to mount the tv on and dont want the soundbar overhanging. I much prefer the models available overseas without this.

Question I had though, for anyone who has one, can you have the tv sitting without the sound bar? I had a look in Currys today and it seemed that the sound bar just floated above a normal mounted stand. So I am assuming that I could just not use the sound bar, and the tv would stand normally.

Any thoughts on this appreciated, as I love the spec except for the clunky soundbar.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I briefly looked at the 853 but the stand has put me off. Could not live with the leanback and the soundbar would overhang my stand which I personally think would look awful, and its the same with the 753 and no way of bringing it up to vertical.

Shame really.

You can always go for this option if you can't wall mount:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tv+stand+with+mount&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#q=tv+stand+with+mount&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=92KVUMWDL8qT0QX37IG4Cw&ved=0CFcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1dce1857f8863009&bpcl=37189454&biw=768&bih=928

A

Anonymous

No. I agree with Laserman. I don't want to wall mount, as I am quite happy with it sitting on my tv stand, but the tv stand is not that big, and so the soundbar base would overhang it, and look silly.

I would much prefer just to remove the soundbar like the US and Asia models.

It's a shame as I would probably have bought this except for this base which seems unique to the UK/Europe. And if you mount the tv, you also cannot use it. Looks like im going for the Panasonic Plasma TX-GT50, which seems the main competitive offering at that price point and quality.

A

Anonymous

Went to John Lewis today and came close and personal with the Sony, and helped by a very good sales guy. The base is built into the sound bar, so you cannot split the two. So there goes my theory.

So for me, with my smaller pedestal to stick it on, I've gone with the "competing" Panasonic Plasma TX-GT50. Comes with a free soundbar at present from JL as well for same price, so it stacks up very good against the Sony LCD, and is plasma. All for under £1,000 and with a 5 yr guarantee. Happy so far - see when we get it home!

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Jamesinmel said:
Went to John Lewis today and came close and personal with the Sony, and helped by a very good sales guy. The base is built into the sound bar, so you cannot split the two. So there goes my theory.

Actually you were quite right the first time round. If you read the installation instructions it clearly shows that the two parts are packed separately, and explains how you have to mount the panel on the base and plug in the audio connector cable...

Obviously, if you don't mount the sound bar (or connect the audio cable), then the panel cannot produce sound. (I suppose the Asian models without sound bar must have some rudimentary speakers in the sides of the panel itself ??) So in Europe if you would go for the option of not using the sound bar, you would need to connect the TV to a separate A/V Receiver and speakers. (This being my case.)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AndrewFG said:
Jamesinmel said:

Actually you were quite right the first time round. If you read the installation instructions it clearly shows that the two parts are packed separately, and explains how you have to mount the panel on the base and plug in the audio connector cable...

Obviously, if you don't mount the sound bar (or connect the audio cable), then the panel cannot produce sound. (I suppose the Asian models without sound bar must have some rudimentary speakers in the sides of the panel itself ??) So in Europe if you would go for the option of not using the sound bar, you would need to connect the TV to a separate A/V Receiver and speakers. (This being my case.)

That is simply incorrect i'm afraid.

The tv can definately produce sound without the soundbar base unit being connected, i know this for certain as i own the tv and have it wall mounted without the soundbar connected. When you install the tv without the soundbar base you can still use the built in speakers of the tv but as is always the case these speakers sound as good as any flatscreen speakers and are no substitute for a home cinema set up.

I use my 46HX853 with my home cinema speaker set up at all times and the tv connects nicely to my system with the tv starting up my amp when i turn it on and off when the tv is powered down.

Just thought it was worth clearing this up, don't know where you got that information from but the tv does have speakers built in as well as the soundbar base speaker unit...they are included for wall mounting the tv but the soundbar definately produces a far superior sound to the rather weedy ones that are built in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts