KDL-40V4000 / W4000 / W4500 - Best for PS3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to get a PS3. I would like to get a 40 inch LCD to play games and watch blu ray on. Can anyone let me know if there will be any benefit in shelling out the extra money on the W4000 or W4500, or will the V4000 suffice? Also are there any better alternatives for gaming? I know Samsungs have a gaming mode.

Thanks

Chris

A

Anonymous

I have the 40W4000 and it is great for games. No image retention worries, and no lag. W4500 is better, but there seems to be a lot of probs with this series. If you can get a good deal (and there are plenty out there) I would recommend the W4000 over the V4000 as it is full HD and a better colour LCD panel. PS3 full HD games like Gran Turismo and 1080p movies will look better from the PS3, especially at the 40inch size.

A

Anonymous

kage: I would recommend the W4000 over the V4000 as it is full HD...

Both the Sony 40V4000 and the 40W4000 are full HD panels. It is only the smaller V4000 models that are not full HD.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if the 40V4000 handles motion as well as the 40W4000?

A

Anonymous

I have the 40W4500 and its great for games, with 0-10ms input lag perfect for getting those all important headshots online lol

A

Anonymous

gansta187:
kage: I would recommend the W4000 over the V4000 as it is full HD...

Both the Sony 40V4000 and the 40W4000 are full HD panels. It is only the smaller V4000 models that are not full HD.

Ah OK so would I be right in thinking that the main differences would be:

V4000 has an 8bit LCD panel whereas W4000 is 10bit?

V4000 has old style menus, W4000 has new PS3 style menus?

V4000 slightly worse sound and styling?
Do they have the same Bravia processing?

A

Anonymous

le_vicar:I am about to get a PS3. I would like to get a 40 inch LCD to play games and watch blu ray on. Can anyone let me know if there will be any benefit in shelling out the extra money on the W4000 or W4500, or will the V4000 suffice? Also are there any better alternatives for gaming? I know Samsungs have a gaming mode.

Thanks

Chris

Ok, i don't really know the answer as to which of the sony's you mention would be better (I did have a W4500 though which was awesome for gaming, but took it back cause of issues which i dare not mention
emotion-5.gif
and i have a Sony 40L4000 on loan at the mo, which also looks great with the ps3) but i can tell you that i had a Samsung Series 7 for a week or so and the Game mode on that is horrible, it gives you a Pre-set Colour Set up which you are FORCED to use and can't change which looks totally washed out and colourless, making the game mode useless IN MY OPINION....obviously you didn't say which samsung you were going for, but my experience with one wasn't great for gaming. Also, just overall the samsung wasn't as good as picture as the Sony w4500, again, in my opinion.
emotion-1.gif

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I use my PS3 with the W4000 in the bedroom and it is amazing; really good detail even in the dark scenes on games; with NO shudder or blurring on fast scenes..........

You can get some great deals on the 4000 atm and none of the issues that seem to plague the 4500 series....

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your replies, it seems the W4000 is the way to go. I like the idea of the PS3 style menus as well. I am going to hang on till Killzone2 is released at the end of Feb to get the PS3 and TV and I am hopeing it might be sub £700 online by that point.

A

Anonymous

Guys - does nayone else find the W4000 a bit too dark in games and movies? as if dark areas are too dark?

Compared to the samsung i had i find the set too dark regardless of which settings i try. I would doubt its a fault but i am not keen to return the set either.

Though i love gaming and cannot continue with this as it is.

A

Anonymous

Are you playing Xbox360 over HDMI?

I had a similar issue but only with my Xbox via HDMI, basically lots of crushed blacks. With VGA it looked fine, and PS3 looked fine with HDMI.

I messed about with some settings on the Xbox, and did some calibration and now it looks fine. Sorry I can't remember exactly, but if this sounds like your issue let me know and I will rack my memory.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Yep the W4000 is much better than the V series.for everything.I see a lot of difference in image quality of those 2.

A

Anonymous

kage:

Are you playing Xbox360 over HDMI?

I had a similar issue but only with my Xbox via HDMI, basically lots of crushed blacks. With VGA it looked fine, and PS3 looked fine with HDMI.

I messed about with some settings on the Xbox, and did some calibration and now it looks fine. Sorry I can't remember exactly, but if this sounds like your issue let me know and I will rack my memory.

does sound similar, though i think all sources are affected!