JVC Mini system loss of sound

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
(I've no idea what happened above, the text box didn't appear for me to post in)

Now I'm preparing myself to be told off here somewhat.......

Due to space constraints I sold my Arcam Alpha 10 and 10P's and for approximately a year I've been running my Ruark Talisman II's from my JVC MX-D302T Mini System (50wpc What Hifi award winner back in about 1999 or so) and it actually sounded surprisingly good. However now the system makes a clicking noise and then the sound disappears. Sometimes if I tap the back of the unit a click can be heard and the sound returns. What exactly have I done and can this be repaired?

Thank you

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
From what you describe it sounds like a bad joint. The clicking suggests some sort or relay protection for the speaker outputs & the tapping to get them back is indeed likely to be a poor joint. If you have the skills to pull it apart it, the relay should be fairly obvious & you can inspect it's contacts to the PCB with a magnifying glass. If you find a bad joint a simple reflow with an iron a some fresh solder should have you up & running again.

You don't say if you've driven the JVC hard to the point where electronic damage could have occurred.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note the dry joint could be anywhere not just on the relay. The relay is clicking out to prevent any damage to the output stage, the fault could be much earlier in the circuit even on the input sockets.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
The JVC has 50w RMS per channel, and it's never gone above sound level 30 out of 50 (and even then, maybe only once or twice for minutes at that volume). Apparently the Ruark Talismann II's are quite easy to drive. I'd just assumed running floorstanders through it had been too much, but this really isn't my field of expertise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts