Just when you thought 3D was dying.....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ultra-D technology has been around for a good few years.

Stream TV Networks, the company behind Ultra-D, signed a manufacturing agreement with Beijing Vision Electron in 2013, with a view to making inroads in Chinese markets:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stream-tv-partners-with-boe-to-introduce-55-inch-4k-ultra-d-2160p-3d-glasses-free-display-solutions-235042161.html

The Chinese are far keener on 3-D than Westerners, though it seems that Stream TV is starting to implement its technology more broadly (the company has always been based in California and has always had an eye on Western markets).

Roughly three years back, Stream TV showcased Ultra-D tech at one of London's museums (I forget which one). I planned to check it out, but never found the time.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sounds expensive, I hope it don't put the price of TVs up.

Paul.

strapped for cash said:
Roughly three years back, Stream TV showcased Ultra-D tech at one of London's museums (I forget which one). I planned to check it out, but never found the time.

If that was the one at the Natural history museum (showing glasses free 3D of a dinosaur skeleton jumping around) it was absolutely terrible. It beat my active plasma in that it made me uncomfortable significantly faster.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
If that was the one at the Natural history museum (showing glasses free 3D of a dinosaur skeleton jumping around) it was absolutely terrible. It beat my active plasma in that it made me uncomfortable significantly faster.

I don't think that was it! *smile*

I've seen some shoddy autostereoscopic implementations. In fact I recall seeing an autostereocopic demo of a dinosaur skeleton at a 2012 Ravensbourne conference (this was maybe the same display and material).

Stream TV Networks produced its own demo material to best showcase its algorithm.

I read around Stream TV Networks' tech at the time and there were accounts of material featuring a spaceship against a star-field background that you could walk around to create perspective shifts.

None of this means Ultra-D is any good, but I don't think the dinosaur skeleton demo you saw was associated with Stream TV's technology. I could be wrong, of course!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I hope it don't put the price of TVs up.

Rest easy, I doubt it'll make any difference.

I reckon the tech will have limited appeal and won't feature on the overwhelming majority of consumer televisions.
Thank God! *clapping*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I hope it don't put the price of TVs up.

Rest easy, I doubt it'll make any difference.

I reckon the tech will have limited appeal and won't feature on the overwhelming majority of consumer televisions.?
Thank God!  *clapping*

And here's me that was hoping it would feature exclusively on lg oled TVs with a huge price premium...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts