just starting out...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been offered some KEF IQ50’s for 300uk pounds - what is a good amp to power them. I’m eventually looking at running a record player & iPod/mac so want to work towards that. Any advice greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

If you are starting out I suggest Googling for 'Nutshell HiFi' and reading all of the articles by Lynn Olsen.

A

Anonymous

you get a lot of bangs for your buck with nad amps and they are also pretty bomb proof. see how they hold there price on ebay even 2nd hand.

p.s. take your time, and check old threads, and dont forget room acoustics and placement-mucho important, often overlooked.

good luck

matthewpiano

I'd agree with Pedej0e. NAD is a great way to go on a budget and will give you far better sound than you would expect at the price.

On the 2nd hand market, Creek and Arcam are also well worth a look.

A

Anonymous

You could do far better for your £300, I reckon. Have a look around for ex-dem Monitor Audio RX1's or perhaps even the GR10's which go for similar money and offer stellar performance. There are also B&W CDM1's, DM 602/3, Mission 753, Monitor Audio RS6, KEF Q300, PM DB1i... All of those can be had for under £400, I think they are all worthy of fending the IQ50's off.

If you were spending about the same on an amp, check out the Arcam A85 and Musical Fidelity A3, those are about the best two integrateds you can get for under £300. Go for the Arcam for warmth, the Musical Fidelity for a more 'solid' sound. Either would run the

A

Anonymous

As you are starting out, you may care to know what most people in Hi-Fi don't, and that's how to tell a good system. It relies on having a good clean source - so if you take a CD take Pink Floyd, Abba, Katie Melua's 'Lilac Wine' track is also superb.

Then just turn the volume up.

That's it - simple. If the system is no good you'll be wanting to turn it down, it it's good, you'll be comfortable and want to turn it up. It's actually a very hard and thorough test that many many systems fail.

It works on the principle that higher odd harmonic distortion makes your ear uncomfortable, and that's the stuff that sounds really bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts