Just in case you missed it – the CD at 30...

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
gel said:
Excellent piece.

:oops:

smiley-smile.gif

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Couldn’t agree more – Big Plus One.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I loved the Philips promo video!

Many thanks Andrew.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas said:
Was peaking at over 4000 by the time I left the office, Andrew. And I'll wager every single one of them enjoyed it as much as I did.

4000 on-site, which I think is a record, or possibly a CD, but 'only' 3000 actually reading the blog. Thank you, (adopts Rita Webb voice) and I love you all. :)

SteveR750

I enjoyed reading that, vefry nostalgic, even if I realise I was 16 years old when it all kicked off. Was many years later before I decided CD was the way to go, and sold my Dual CS505 for a Sherwood bitstreaming player that was a WHF award winner in its time (1994 or maybe 5).

I'm not sure you would be able to write such an interesting blog on bit streamers in 30 years from now.

"Oh how we laughed over USB cables in 2012!" :)

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
Simon Lucas said:
Was peaking at over 4000 by the time I left the office, Andrew. And I'll wager every single one of them enjoyed it as much as I did.

4000 on-site, which I think is a record, or possibly a CD, but 'only' 3000 actually reading the blog. Thank you, (adopts Rita Webb voice) and I love you all. :)

We've been slashdotted, and the site didn't break. I feel quite emotional.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting, thanks Andrew :) Especially like the theories on how they ended up with a 12cm disc. Imagine if it had been 20cm as proposed in the early days! :O

Re Kieran Prendiville spreading jam, I can't find any clips on youtube but think this may be a slight urban myth. They showed a clip of what I believe was this on Big Fat Quiz of the 80s and it was actually honey, followed by (and washed off by) coffee. Does this sound right?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I enjoyed reading that, vefry nostalgic, even if I realise I was 16 years old when it all kicked off. Was many years later before I decided CD was the way to go, and sold my Dual CS505 for a Sherwood bitstreaming player that was a WHF award winner in its time (1994 or maybe 5).

I'm not sure you would be able to write such an interesting blog on bit streamers in 30 years from now.

"Oh how we laughed over USB cables in 2012!" :)

Yes he can! :type:

...Some article saying, 30 years ago there was a fabulous piece of kit ( advanced for that time) by the name of Squeezebox Touch that Logitech have done the favor of killing it prematurely... :help:

30 year after 3xpto launch a streamer that is very similar to SBT in the conception... an so on... ;)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Ahh, happy days, when a chap would drive his Saab to a remote spot, unhitch his portable CDP, and stroll jauntily to a copse to meet his chums for a session of 'dancing', gormless grinning and playing catch :eek:

Ta for the 'trip' :)

T

the record spot

Great piece Andrew, really enjoyed reading it and seeing some of the old ads and players again. First CD player I saw was a Philips, CD100 I think. It was in, of all places, the Edinburgh Camera Shop on Lothian Road that had somehow come by a few. Price was an eye-watering £500 in 1983 or thereabouts - out of a student's budget at the time (nowadays, they just stick it on the credit card or the loan)!

Wonderful piece and archive snippets from Andrew.

Did Kieran Prendiville also claim on that same programme that the cd was indestructable - sure he also whacked it with a hammer, although could be wrong.

On a more serious note, whatever anyone's thought about the humble CD disc, it's been there... stood the test of time. TBH, I can't remember too much, in a musical sense, what it was like without CDs, even though I was a late-comer to the format, all my friends had cdps.

TRENDING THREADS