Just how good is the Audiolab 6000A ... and should you buy an Audiolab DC blocker?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
It's good and it's my favourite budget amplifier. I probably would be happy if it were my only amp but where is the fun in that?

This is an interesting comparison if only to show diminishing returns.

View: https://youtu.be/z7uyFVe1594

As to the DC blocker; (copied over from my thread on PFM)

I've ordered one ... so you don't have to. -

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/dc-block/

Now, I do not have mains problems, at least not that I am aware of but I wonder if this could bring any audible benefits, even a minor one.

No idea but the box looks well made, is under a ton and comes from a reputable manufacturer that does not normally do 'audiophile add-ons'.

I will try this on my amps and report back. If there's no difference I will tell so and back it goes.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Indeed, that is what I understand. However, Audiolab claim other possible effects doI thought ... why not try. No harm done if it does nothing in my systems

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Ok, here it is ... What you've all been waiting for
;)
;)

Interesting and obviously purely subjective with no scientific credentials whatsoever.

I did not expect much ... and didn't get much.

But that is a actually a good thing in this case.

I have only plugged this in on my little Audiolab amplifier, not the others. - I can detect no negative (or positive) impact on dynamics at reasonably loud or quiet volumes. The amplifier has limited power and that may be different with something bigger.

So that's that.

But, surprisingly, focus and detail seem to have gone up half a notch. It sounds clearer but not harsher.

Am I imagining this. Possibly, no idea but I like it. No 'unsighted A/B testing. Would I be able to hear this in one of those? Maybe but it'll be far from easy.

That's that.

Am I keeping it? Maybe, it cost little and doesn't do much wrong, perhaps even a little right. - As I said previously, I don't have any known mains issues but we are moving soon and it may not be the same.

So, is this over rated, foo, pointless? I think probably not the first too, based on cost and manufacturer credentials. The last one ... depends.

It's good and it's my favourite budget amplifier. I probably would be happy if it were my only amp but where is the fun in that?

This is an interesting comparison if only to show diminishing returns.

View: https://youtu.be/z7uyFVe1594

As to the DC blocker; (copied over from my thread on PFM)
As regards the first part of the question, you've answered the question. Regards the Blocker, do you have a friendly local dealer?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
They are available from numerous sources which offer the right to return if not satisfied, including Amazon and RS. No risk.

If you do have a mains issue and several components in a system it may be more prudent to try Audiolab's 6 outlet mains conditioner.

They are available from numerous sources which offer the right to return if not satisfied, including Amazon and RS. No risk.

If you do have a mains issue and several components in a system it may be more prudent to try Audiolab's 6 outlet mains conditioner.
Possibly, I would only buy items like DC blockers and power supply units if you have the ability to return them if not satisfied they make any difference without charge or losing money.

D

Deleted member 195594

Yep, if you're not sure if you need a DC blocker, then you probably don't. When you do, you'll know.
I bought the ifi blocker last year; it did nothing to improve my system per se, but it did stop my system sounding like a swarm of bees had taken up residence when the hair dryer, micro wave were on, and freezer kicked in. Old House, old electrics

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts