Just got a Rega Fono MK2, leave it on 24/7?

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering what the consensus was about leaving this on 24/7. Easy enough to turn off and on with the button on the front but be fine to me to leave it on 24/7 if there weren't any downsides to it...

starkiller said:
Was wondering what the consensus was about leaving this on 24/7. Easy enough to turn off and on with the button on the front but be fine to me to leave it on 24/7 if there weren't any downsides to it...

There is little point in leaving it on if you are not using it is there?

I leave my trichord dino mk3/never connected psu on 24/7,

I actually posed this question to Graham Fowler from Trichord and his response was that "it is entirely up to you wheather you leave it on or switch it off but leaving any equipment turned on all the time will lengthen it's life as it's the inrush current at power up that does the most damage".

Although I do have a rega ear mk2 headphone amp which i'm assuming will use a similar kind of power supply(wallwart dc unit)which i don't leave on all the time and wouldn't as they do tend to get quite hot.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I've recently purchased a Heed phono preamp and no switch has been provided to encourage you to leave it on as reommended by Heed. I do listen to my vinyl on a regular basis at the moment but if I were going away or not planning to use it for long periods I think I would be inclined to disconnect.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I leave my trichord dino mk3/never connected psu on 24/7,

I actually posed this question to Graham Fowler from Trichord and his response was that "it is entirely up to you wheather you leave it on or switch it off but leaving any equipment turned on all the time will lengthen it's life as it's the inrush current at power up that does the most damage".

Although I do have a rega ear mk2 headphone amp which i'm assuming will use a similar kind of power supply(wallwart dc unit)which i don't leave on all the time and wouldn't as they do tend to get quite hot.

This is highly contraversial and depends a lot on the equipment in question. I certainly wouldn't leave my power amp on 24/7 (unless my central heating had failed ;-) ) and I think his current in-rush comment is curious. However, as its only phono preamp I guess its up to you but if it was mine (and I have owned one) it would be turned off at the end of the day along with everything else.

Hi AL..All my Naim kit is left on also,,,,Apparently it's the correct thing to do with naim gear.As for the trichord,I use the never connected psu with it and i'm not really sure what's best but I'm pretty sure as director and product designer.... Graham Fowler knows better than most......I do turn the whole thing off for a day or two every month.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I left it on for a few days having read somewhere it was advisable (a kind of burn in period).

As it's located next to my turntable I turn it off when I'm shutting the Technics down.

Maybe there isn't a right or wrong answer...

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi AL..All my Naim kit is left on also,,,,Apparently it's the correct thing to do with naim gear.As for the trichord,I use the never connected psu with it and i'm not really sure what's best but I'm pretty sure as director and product designer.... Graham Fowler knows better than most......I do turn the whole thing off for a day or two every month.

Please feel free to do whatever you feel is best. Personally I cannot see the need to leave any solid state kit on permamently, possibly improving the takings of your energy provider? ;-) , what do you do when you go on holiday?

I switch it all off Al if I ever have any cash left to go on holiday.lol.

I have to say that I can't really tell any difference in Sq between it being on for 10 minutes or 10 days.....I thought it was better for it's bits n bobs inside to leave them powered up (notice my technical vocabulary).There is often lengthy debates on the dark sides forum to which is best and most leave their naim kit on.But now I must reconsider Al as I do appreciate any information on Al things hi-fi from yourself.cheers.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I switch it all off Al if I ever have any cash left to go on holiday.lol.

I have to say that I can't really tell any difference in Sq between it being on for 10 minutes or 10 days.....I thought it was better for it's bits n bobs inside to leave them powered up (notice my technical vocabulary).There is often lengthy debates on the dark sides forum to which is best and most leave their naim kit on.But now I must reconsider Al as I do appreciate any information on Al things hi-fi from yourself.cheers.

I must say, in my wayward youth and with parents paying the electricity bill, I was converted to the 'leave it on theory', however as I have aged somewhat I am now strongly of the idea that the only thing that's likely to suffer by doing the opposite is the ON/OFF switch itself. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS