Just got a Pioneer VSX819HK, need speakers and wires

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

After searching around I settled on the pioneer, people say the have PQ issues, but TBH some dont, I have a SKY HD box and a PS3, So cant see how an amp would lower the quality of the picture (be gentle im new)

Anyway, I bought it for £250.00 delivered, thats £100.00 cheaper than everyone else, and this is what I plan to set up.

Ateca bordeaux which I have just bought as well, and my PS3 and SKY HD. With a HD 42" plasma.

Anyway, I cant fit floor stands besides the tv as the stand it too big, so I want some nice bookshelfs.

I cant go above £200.00 as the wife is already mad about me buying the amp, so less that 200.00

This will be for movies manely and games. I would like to match the walnut on the stand, as I am a tart like that.

In Richer sounds they have the MS 902i for 99.00 or the diamond 10.1 or the lektor 2's, but thats at a streach, Want something in a walnut colour as they will be sitting on the stand, as perfect line of sight for my sofa.

Anyway, I will stop babling, and hope you can help, thanks

A

Anonymous

Anyone?

Just need help on bookshelf, and if they would be fine with 130w p/c

I am looking at the most. mezzo 1's, and I can get for 250.00 brand new.

But they are only 100w, not sure if they are ok for my amp, never bought a stereo before.

Thanks again

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
have a look at monitor audio bronze BR2's
emotion-21.gif

they will put a big smile on your face when listening! they come in walnut : they are 100 rms rated & your after 130 for the amp, but i

think you will find that when these are turned up, it is more than enough power to get the most out of the amp. Amps on a hole (from what im lead to believe) only use 1/2 to 3/4 of there potential to get the best from them, so i'd say its a pretty good match for getting 100rms speakers.

esponse +/- 3dB:
42 Hz - 30 KHz

Sensitivity (1W@1M):
90 dB

Nominal Impedance:

6 Ohms

Power Handling (RMS):

100 W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS):

30 - 100 W

Cabinet Design:
Front Ported Bass Reflex

Drive Unit Complement:
1 x 6.5" MMP©II Bass mid-range,
1 x 1" (25 mm) gold dome C-CAM© tweeter

External Dimensions:
(H x W x D)

350 x 185 x 250 mm
13 3/4 x 7 5/16 x 9 13/16 inch

Weight (Individual):
5.8 Kg (12.8 lb)

A

Anonymous

Hey can I mix and match, as I want really small speakers in the rear, but some nice ones up front.

My amp is 130w so do I need speakers that are 130w or higher? as I can really find bookshelf ones for more than that for the rear.

Thanks so much.

A

Anonymous

I would consider the Wharefdale 9.1 or 10.1. Both the Monitor Audio and Mordaunt Short are bright sounding speakers and they could be too much with the Pionner, which is known to be on the bright/clinical side. The Wharefdales are slightly on the warm side of neutral in my view and could be a good match.

Peoples' preferences do vary though, so if you have the chance demo all the suggested speakers with a Pionner amp.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
hi there

You can mix & match, its down to personal taste. I got the BR2's 1st then decided to add the Monitor audio R45/R360 5.1 package so its all the same range & company & finish as i was so impressed with the BR2's.

Im using them on a Yamaha dsp-863se amp which is over 100 rms a channel & the small R45's cope with no issues at all. They are 50rms each - baring in mind that they only drop to 120hz, so they are not pushed when it comes to bass (thats where the sub comes in to fill the room with the low frequencies), hence why they make a good surround choice, look good & have a good sound.

If im listening to a cd or music video i set the amp to either 'straight' (my usual choice) so just me BR2's are on or set it to a music surround which again makes sure the music sounds its best if you want that setting. I would not get to worried over the power of the amp, im pretty sure you will not be cranking it up to its full potential (unless your hard of hearing
emotion-5.gif
) as it is quite loud at those figures.

From personal use of my Yamaha i dont go over half as thats loud enough but have tried 3/4 of its power & the speakers handled it. Again its down to the settings of the amp - surround type, frequencies etc. hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

I wanted to try some small tangent evo;s for the back as I have kids and they are likely to put there fingers all over them, so smaller the better, or was looking at the cheaper JBL control 1's as they have a metal mesh, I dont really want to put stands on the rear, would prefer wall mounts.

And will spend max £250.00 for the fronts, but might like the 10.1's or 9.1's, but I cant get maple in the 9.1 for 99.99 so not to bad, My girlfriend is going mad already, but it aint her money ... LOL.

So is there anything I need to be wary of? I am not a music expert, just want a bit better sound, I wont be listning to classical and the strings, so it does not have to be studio perfect.

Would something like this be ok?

Thanks so much guys for being easy on me, even though you are prob laughing... LOL, But everyone has to start somewere

A

Anonymous

What about the centre speaker --- that really needs to be from the same range as the front left and right to get tonal matching across the front soundstage. Forgive me if I've missed it, but I didn't see any reference to it, but did to the surrounds.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
if its the tangent evo's 2 way with a glossy finish - i had them in red, they are ok for a budget surround.

If you not sure, save the cash from the rears & just go & listen to a set of fronts & save up for a later date to get rear speakers & sub.

If you buy fronts & rears you will be (in my opinion) abit miffed as you will notice you need a sub woofer to fill in the missing sound of bass in the room..... more money
emotion-6.gif

If it was me i would just go & listen/read reviews etc to certain speakers you are interested in & get them for now.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
passingbat:What about the centre speaker --- that really needs to be from the same range as the front left and right to get tonal matching across the front soundstage. Forgive me if I've missed it, but I didn't see any reference to it, but did to the surrounds.

if your meaning myself i have the 5.1 package from Monitor audio, BR2's are on full frequency, the 5off R45 speakers are set to full (120hz upwards) & the sub (R360) is set from what ever it picks up at to approx 90/100hz. The sound is very clear & bass is ample to as & when required in the tune/film etc. I aint no professional at setting it up but im happy with it!. I also used the amps own microphone to set it up initially so i get the best sound to start with in my seating posistion.

A

Anonymous

tj27:

passingbat:What about the centre speaker --- that really needs to be from the same range as the front left and right to get tonal matching across the front soundstage. Forgive me if I've missed it, but I didn't see any reference to it, but did to the surrounds.

if your meaning myself

No, I'm talking about the OP.

A

Anonymous

Rears are not that important right now and they can wait for things to settle with the girlfriend.. LOL

So the centre needs to be the same make as the fronts.

for eg,. diamond 9.1 and the centre the same?

I can work with that for now,

Will try the diamonds in richer sounds and see what they are like, as 99.99 seems really good and everyone praises them

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Rears are not that important right now and they can wait for things to settle with the girlfriend.. LOL

So the centre needs to be the same make as the fronts.

for eg,. diamond 9.1 and the centre the same?

I can work with that for now,

Will try the diamonds in richer sounds and see what they are like, as 99.99 seems really good and everyone praises them

It's the Wharedale 9cc that is the centre to match the diamond 9 series at about £60. there is also the better quality 9cs at about £120 as an option.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
if your going R.Sounds also have a listen to the Tannoy F1 spreakers if your only spending that amount - ive just noticed on the web that the Wharfs are on offer at £49.99 & the F1's at £79.99

Also ask what they recommend to go with your amp & what centre speakers they have to suit. if your buying a few items they usually throw in a free lead or speaker wire for free
emotion-16.gif
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4281

What about those?

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
seems a good deal, cant personally comment as i have not heard them.

Have a look at what i have:

http://petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r45_av_speaker_package.shtml

add the above to my BR2's and i am enjoying 7.1
emotion-2.gif

edit to say P.tyson has a few speaker packages, so have a look, also give them a call they are very noligable when it comes to what to have & could recommend for you. free postage on it all as well is a bonus
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey

Yeh those are more like it, need everything as small as possible, with big sound for little cost.. lol

Can get some Diamond 9 HCP new for 269.99 but the rear would just stick out too much, as the position of the sofa.

Need something with really small depth, and the sub will be down the side of the sofa, so that needs to be as narrow as possible.

My living room were we sit is about 10ft by 10ft, but the whole living room is about 25 foot by 10ft.

A

Anonymous

tj27:

http://petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r45_av_speaker_package.shtml

emotion-2.gif

edit to say P.tyson has a few speaker packages, so have a look, also give them a call they are very noligable when it comes to what to have & could recommend for you. free postage on it all as well is a bonus
emotion-21.gif

You really should listen to those speakers with the Pionner amp before buying. The Pionner is a bright sounding amp and so are the MA Radius speakers. The overall sound could be too bright. Obviously tastes vary, so it may suit your tastes, but it would be worth checking first IMHO.

tj27 has a yamaha amp --- MA speakers will sound good with that as it's a smooth sounding amp which compliments the brightness of the MA speakers.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
passingbat:tj27:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-21.gif

You really should listen to those speakers with the Pionner amp before buying. The Pionner is a bright sounding amp and so are the MA Radius speakers. The overall sound could be too bright. Obviously tastes vary, so it may suit your tastes, but it would be worth checking first IMHO.

tj27 has a yamaha amp --- MA speakers will sound good with that as it's a smooth sounding amp which compliments the brightness of the MA speakers.

thanks
emotion-21.gif
, they do sound pretty good, very clear & crisp - agree with the brightness of them, but my yamaha amp does do a good job
emotion-11.gif

As mentioned though just go & liten to a few sets & see what you think & what the sellers may recommend to you

A

Anonymous

tj27:[

thanks
emotion-21.gif
, they do sound pretty good, very clear & crisp - agree with the brightness of them, but my yamaha amp does do a good job
emotion-11.gif

I run a Yamaha/MA combination, so I know they work well together, and they are a well established amp/speaker combo, but I'd definitely want to demo if i was thinking of changimg the amp to one of the brighter sounding ones, such as Pionner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts